What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CNN Video Piece - Apple Rejects Cash For iPad

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Lol...pretty funny...but silly of course...

Up until about a year ago we did not have an Apple store in Fort Worth, so I assume there are many places still that do not have one. So I guess this "advocate" would want to make Apple put stores everywhere to give access to their products?

Best buy, comes to mind.... Gee CNN, are you guys too elite to suggest she go to Best Buy (or other Apple reseller)? Does she have no one, family or friend, that would take her cash and use their debit card to purchase the iPad? Without a bank account (a bank account would of course give her a debit card, so I assume she does not have one) how is she going to pay for WIFI or 3G service?

As is so often the case, it is easier to whine, than do something simple and get it done.

Of course I disagree with Apple policy, but if you want something sometimes you have to jump through some hoops.... It's part of being an adult.....just deal with it...

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure Obama has some sort of "I don't have a bank account and can only pay cash for my iPad" Government assistance internet program.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Simple fix. Take the cash, buy an Apple gift card, hand the gift card back to the sales associate and say "I'll take an iPad, thanks." Then point and laugh at the sales associate. They cannot turn down their gift cards.

This reminds me of a story about Subway, very similar lousy customer service experience. Back in the early 2000's my friends and I used to have weekend long LAN parties about once a month. We usually got catered food or tons of takeout for the festivities. Well, one weekend we decided to go to Subway and order one of their party platters. When I ordered the party platter the clerk said "Sorry, we need 24 hours notice for those orders," even though I was the only customer in the store. I then asked how many foot long sandwiches were on a party platter and he replied, "five." I said, okay cool. Then I'll take five foot long sandwiches to go. KTHXBYE!

Where there is a will, there is a way... and remember, you're the paying customer, you're always right. :p

EDIT: I am paying for my iPad with a gift card that was given to me. In the video they say you can't use a gift card, I assure you I will be using a gift card, and if they don't want a scene they will honor that gift card, I'll raise all kinds of hell. The ridiculous thing is you can order it online with a gift card.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe it is a store's descretion on whether or not it take cash. If I ran a store in a location where dealing with cash would create security issues for employees, I would probably decide not to take cash.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EDIT: I am paying for my iPad with a gift card that was given to me. In the video they say you can't use a gift card, I assure you I will be using a gift card, and if they don't want a scene they will honor that gift card, I'll raise all kinds of hell. The ridiculous thing is you can order it online with a gift card.

They will not accept gift cards for iPads. If you make too much of a scene about it you could end up getting arrested.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it Ca people they have there own little world out here in the land of fuits and nuts out here..

like the time where the stores here in the valley was limiting the amount of bottle soda you could buy at one time 10 2.liters at a time i do not have a problem with the limit amount .the problem i had was over that the guy who told me that i could have that much soda in the cart with me at one time ..

but instead of looking to see if there was other people with me that night he just opened his mouth and told i could not buy that much soda..for i had about 5 people with me and we where haveing a cook out and we where buying supplies for the cookout and we had about 30 diff types of the pepsi two litters that where on sale ..he told that i would have to put 20 bottle back or he would not sale me the soda ..i said ok and left the cart right there and told him i would be back in a second watch the cart ..

i came back with my friends there and he was looking like oh i did not think that you where with anyone look ..i told them get a cart each and they went up and got carts and i put 10 .2 liters in each of the carts in the two carts...so that left the 10 in my cart along with the food items we where going to use ..

then we went over as group and they got 10 more for each cart for i give my friends each $.20 bucks to do this tricks for they loaded up on the soda as well in there carts at the max amount of 10 per customer .

.so we and check out and we put the food in the one guy truck and me and another person go back in and each buy a another 10 bottle of soda ..we did that about four times.. i had soda for a while in the house ..but the guy made me mad over the fact inside of asking me about the soda ..he took this tone with like i was rip the store off for the soda....

for we had spilt up to get the diff items on the list for the cookout that was happening later on that day ..

that way iam not a big fan of Safeway when i told the mgn the next time i was in there shopping ..he told that he got word from the on duty mgn that night that i came in and bought up a large amount of 2.liters for they where 95.cents a bottle at the time .i told the store mgn that we have a cookout and if the guy had ask me in a nice way about way so much soda i would have told him it for a cook out and my friends in the store are going to be right back ..the cashier told her boss that where a group of us that came into the store and we where asking her where the some of the specials on meat and other items where at in the store ...

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
They will not accept gift cards for iPads. If you make too much of a scene about it you could end up getting arrested.

Are we talking just iTunes cards or something like the AMEX gift cards?

Apple's legal speak on their website says Apple Store Gift Cards cannot be used for other gift cards, iPhones or iPads (see here), although their "Apple Gift Card FAQ" makes no mention of that policy (see here).

As I stated above, I am buying an iPad with a gift card and I will buy it with a gift card. I know how to get what I want, their no gift card or cash policy was ridiculous and they know it, thus the change. I know my rights as a consumer, and there is always a manger to speak to and keep making your way up that line. If they don't help, contact your state's attorney general office, or you state and local representatives and the media.

I have store credit that was bought and paid for with US currency, in my eyes they don't have a choice, it is a public relations nightmare for Apple if they refuse it, especially after the ridiculous fiasco mentioned above. They simply cannot dictate how I spend my money in their store, period. All it took was a woman to change their entire policy. If people would DEMAND better customer service American companies would perform to a higher standard.

I am a nice guy, and I completely respect sales associates and know that they don't have any control over the corporate policies, but what I also know is that if you don't stand up for your rights, corporations will walk all over you. I received a gift card for the full price of an iPad including tax from my father, and I am going to buy one with it come hell or high water. No ifs, ands or buts. Hopefully my name will come up on the waiting list on the next few days so I can prove my point. :p

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

Are we talking just iTunes cards or something like the AMEX gift cards?

Apple's legal speak on their website says Apple Store Gift Cards cannot be used for other gift cards, iPhones or iPads (see here), although their "Apple Gift Card FAQ" makes no mention of that policy (see here).

As I stated above, I am buying an iPad with a gift card and I will buy it with a gift card. I know how to get what I want, their no gift card or cash policy was ridiculous and they know it, thus the change. I know my rights as a consumer, and there is always a manger to speak to and keep making your way up that line. If they don't help, contact your state's attorney general office, or you state and local representatives and the media.

I have store credit that was bought and paid for with US currency, in my eyes they don't have a choice, it is a public relations nightmare for Apple if they refuse it, especially after the ridiculous fiasco mentioned above. They simply cannot dictate how I spend my money in their store, period. All it took was a woman to change their entire policy. If people would DEMAND better customer service American companies would perform to a higher standard.

I am a nice guy, and I completely respect sales associates and know that they don't have any control over the corporate policies, but what I also know is that if you don't stand up for your rights, corporations will walk all over you. I received a gift card for the full price of an iPad including tax from my father, and I am going to buy one with it come hell or high water. No ifs, ands or buts. Hopefully my name will come up on the waiting list on the next few days so I can prove my point. :p

Godspeed brother!

Taking action = good and productive
Whining = bad and pointless

Years ago i bought a computer game at Best Buy. Got it home and it simply would not run on my system. They informed me it was store police not to refund for games. I could only exchange it for the same game. I walked to the shelf and picked up the 8 remaining copies of the game. I explained to them that I was going to take each one home, try it, and bring it back. Since the game did not work on my system, a different box was not going to help. I pointed out it would be in their best interest to give me a refund, or store credit. The manager came over, and I got a store credit for my purchase.....

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently the purpose of the no cash deal was to prevent people from buying more than the two allowed. Considering how difficult it is to obtain iPads, and how some are making a killing selling them on ebay, I can understand their concerns. They have reverse the policy and the gal has a free iPad, so at least all is well with the world again.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Apparently the purpose of the no cash deal was to prevent people from buying more than the two allowed. Considering how difficult it is to obtain iPads, and how some are making a killing selling them on ebay, I can understand their concerns. They have reverse the policy and the gal has a free iPad, so at least all is well with the world again.

I completely understand the thinking behind the policy, but that still doesn't make it a good policy. All they had to do was require your iTunes account, name and address when you bought an iPad, or your state ID/Drivers License number. There are countless ways that they could have better monitored who was buying iPads, the are one of the most innovative companies in the world after all.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com

I can CONFIRM that you can now pay for your iPad with an Apple Store Gift Card. They took it without even hesitating.

Most reactions