What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cloud

H

hayseed

i have had something show up on my I pad, recently, that I never noticed it being there till now that.

I see it at times when I press the pages icon, and it shows up at the bottom in a black screen.

What is there is this. I believe it is cloud something or other.

It is a list of sites I visited in the past, under this heading: image of a cloud, then, Steves iPad.

I have tried to get rid of items in this list, the first one is Julia Louise Dreyfus on YouTube, When I see it I go there click on it to see if I can find the key to get it deleted, I have done this now so many tines, instead of getting rid of it, it's now my favorite.

If I hold my stylus on the written line of they heading, and shift left, it makes appear a red delete prompt, I click on the delete but it does not go away.

Thinking it is cloud I went to settings and turned it off but still I can not get rid of it.
I don't know how this list was started, it is at present around six items long, not to bad, but what happens if things are added and added etc.
how do I delete this list under the heading cloud my iPad. And most of all how do I stop this list from happening. It does me no good, and will I guess slow my iPad down if left unchecked

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is one of Apple's new Continuity features.

The links you are being shown are open tabs in Safari on other devices that are signed into he same iCloud account as you. It's tends to lag a bit, so you may see links that you've already closed on those devices/computers, or new ones may not have shown up yet. It's kind of unpredictable.

What it's supposed to do is let you browse on one device, then quickly switch to another if needed. Say you are looking at something on the iPhone and decided you want to see it on a bigger screen (iPad or Mac). You go to that browser and look for the link to continue where you left off.

When you delete the link, as you described, it's supposed to close the tab on the other device as well.

I'm typing this on my Mac right now. When opened Safari on the iPad and tapped on the continuity link it opened this site, including this unfinished post.

On the other hand I opened another tab on the Mac, several minutes ago, and it has yet to show up on the iPad.

OP
H

hayseed

Thanks for the information, when you say it is kind of unpredictable, does this pertain to the situation, where I slide left to expose the red delete, and press on it and it refuses to delete.

I guess since the cloud is continuously sending the data it will just stay on the pad. Sounds plausible anyway.
I have not yet confirmed this, but as I have said I disabled the cloud feature on my iPad, I assume this will take care of future, lists showing up?
Why am I not able to move the cursor in this chat box to where I want it to be by tapping that spot, like I can easily do in so many other forum site chat boxes? I would think that this iPad forum would be conducive to iPad users.
I would not continuously bring this up, but whenever I do no one addresses the question, if this is taboo, then let me know.
It really bothers me because I do not/rarely catch mistakes or missing punctuation marks until I read over my text, then I usually go back and make those corrections. But here I cannot move the cursor, except to press the blue blinking line, until it magnifies, then slide the blue cursor line along the text to where I need to insert or make corrections.
This works for the most part, but sometimes if you miss hitting the blue line exactly and try to slide, up or down the whole paragraph moves instead of the cursor. And if you want to go to an area that is not in view, you have to take the cursor up to the top of the page, leave off the cursor, bring the text down, then get cursor again and proceed up the page. This would not seem to be that big of thing to fix. But I guess, it does not bother enough people. That or I am not doing something right, which is usually the case. Consider this dead horse now dead!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Like I said. It's behavior is unpredictable. On the rare occasion it's showing me something I can use at a time I want to use it, I do. Otherwise I ignore it.

The forum's text editing problems are known. But you have to keep in mind this is a problem with the software that runs the forum, not the forum's settings. The forum owners are in a position only one step close to fixing the problem than you are. They can't fix it themselves. All they can do is report the issue to the software's developers and wait for them to fix it.

I really think you should give Tapatalk a second try. I left you a brief screenshot tutorial the last time I mentioned it; in case you missed that post.

OP
H

hayseed

Thanks Mr T. I am just glad to hear that it was something that was considered a problem. I thought it might have just been the way it was, and it was not a problem, and not going to change.

I do remember the post, and I did try the tapatalk, I could not make it work, or figure it out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Mr T. I am just glad to hear that it was something that was considered a problem. I thought it might have just been the way it was, and it was not a problem, and not going to change.

I do remember the post, and I did try the tapatalk, I could not make it work, or figure it out.

Oh well. If I find some time I'll see if I can do a more complete job of making a tutorial. I'm kind of irked that the developer doesn't have one.

OP
H

hayseed

I take full responsibility for my dumbnesses

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. The App really is a bit confusing if you don't understand how forum apps work. It's mostly a result of the fact that the app is intended for people who follow a lot of forums. That requires an extra layer of complexity to handle multiple forums, and an extra level of abstraction to handle the different kinds of forum software and settings.

Because it's pointed at those kind of customers, the developer can get away with doing things they are already used to doing. They are pre-trained, so to speak.

I promise you, if you take the time to figure out Tapatalk, you'll soon wonder why you were intimidated. Most of what you've learned on computers, like email, isn't any more complicated. It's just different.

OP
H

hayseed

I did go back and look at it again, I was accessing this forum, not sure hoe it got there, there were other I guess forums on this same site area .

None that I put their and none this one I cared about. I tried to find a way to add those I like and delete those that were there, but I could do neither.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The magnifying glass icon shows a great many suggested forums. The only thing you want to do there is use the search bar at the top to search for ipadforums, and then add it. After that you use the house icon to see your alerts and recent stuff, and the person icon to do all your reading and responding.

The only reason to go back to the magnifying glass is if you want to add another forum.

OP
H

hayseed

I mentioned there were forum picks already there and did not want nor pick them. Can you get rid of them or do they come attached with the app? I know apps are easy to use but, I have often found that they are not easy until you know what is what, and where is where, and within the app itself there are no clear steps, or instructions.
I guess someone smart with time on his/ her hands, goes through it figures it out then, they tell someone down the line, etc. etc.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are seeing forums you don't want under the Person icon, then you can delete it there.

When you fist tap the Person icon you should see your user name/profile info at the top, then your forums below. Between is a thin gray divider bar. In this bar, to the right, is an Edit button. Tap this for options to hide (they eye icon) or delete (the trash icon) the forum. I'm not sure what the hamburger icon (three lines) does.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419202151.825805.jpg

OP
H

hayseed

Would there be a list of supported sites, or would that list be to long, I have tried bleeping computers forum but not supported.

Most reactions

Latest posts