What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cisco Ipsec VPN problem

jjlp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Im new to iPad and have been playing with the vpn in this device.
My company has a Cisco VPN concentrator and I would like to connect to my companys network with the iPad.

Im able to establish the vpn tunnel, that is I think so, the icon for VPN is in the top bar on the homescreen.

But im unbale to access any resources, fx webpages on the company internal server, RDP to servers and so on.

Is it possible to see the VPN ipaddress? or does anyone have any idea whats wrong.

Thanks

OP
J

jjlp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, ill do that. Done that. I am the network admin :) does you know if there are some special settings that has to be enablet for vpn on the ipad?

The vpn works with both mac and windows.

rmart73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad VPN supporting the L2TP, PPTP, or Cisco IPSec VPN protocols

Tap Settings > General > Network > VPN > Add VPN Configuration. Then use the VPN settings for your device.

* Server = your computer's external IP or hostname.
* Account = your account login
* RSA SecurID = OFF
* Password = your account password
* Secret = computer's secret, chosen during set-up.
* Send all traffic = ON

Turn VPN on or off

If you have created a VPN configuration, you would find the option to turn VPN on or off in the Settings.

First disable Wi-Fi on iPad, then start VPN in the settings. Wait until it finishes connecting and the status bar would has the VPN icon.

Note: iPad will drop VPN whenever changing the networks.

Try the following to use your iPad to connect to Cisco VPN.

* On your iPad, tap Settings > General > Network > VPN > Add VPN Configuration...
* In the top of your window, Click on IPSec tab from the list of connection types.
* Enter the your Cisco VPN information:

Description: VPN
Server: yourvpn-domain
Account: Your NetID
Password: Your NetID Password
Group Name: your group name
Secret: *****
Turn Proxy off.

Click Save.

* Sliding the VPN swith to On.

OP
J

jjlp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, but as i wrote, im able to connect to vpn, but unable to reach any resources.
Is there some way to see the vpn ipaddress?

Do you know if there is an commandpromt app?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Thanks, but as i wrote, im able to connect to vpn, but unable to reach any resources.
Is there some way to see the vpn ipaddress?

Do you know if there is an commandpromt app?

sounds to me like you didnt even give rmart73's suggestion a try or verify that everything is the way it should be.

and for being a network admin you seem to just be wanting everyone to give you the answers and do it for you rather than just looking at it yourself.

If you would have looked at your VPN settings area there will be a STATUS section noting the IP of both the server connected to, and the IP issued to your device.

OP
J

jjlp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you would have looked at your VPN settings area there will be a STATUS section noting the IP of both the server connected to, and the IP issued to your device.

Im very sorry for the inconvenience that i may have caused, as I wrote im total noob to iPad and have looked for the vpn status, but found it now so thanks you so much.

I have been looking into my vpn settings and verified that that part was ok, apparently im unable to connect to vpn using 3G but that can maybe a ipad or carrier error.

ill look further into the error. :)

yjxd00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find that I am having the same issue. I have an Ipad that had the VPN setup to go to a cisco 3030 concentrator, work great for about 4 months now the vpn will connect but pass no data. I have deleted the vpn and recreated and can see the connection on the concentrator. Does anyone have any ideas?

KennyHektik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
hektik.org
VPN errors.

If you are successful with your VPN connection from your iPad meaning that it looks/says it is connected but you just can't see/send/receive traffic from your iPad then you need to check this from the VPN side.

I am familiar with several Cisco VPN's and the concentrators are not nearly as nice as the ASA's but they still have decent logging. You need to log on to the VPN and watch the live traffic/connections. And if you can provide the error from there it would be easier to troubleshoot.

If connected it's a VPN issue and not an iPad issue. And more than likely some ACL or policy but without details from the VPN side it's hard to call.

At some point this weekend I will bring an old VPN 3000 concentrator up and see what I can find...

Shadovar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have been having problems with IPad VPN connecting into work.

I have everything configured correctly for an IPSec VPN and I connect in just fine. I can use iSSH to connect to a couple Unix servers that are on a private IP space. However, when I use iTap RDP to connect to Windows Servers, it does not work.

My windows servers sit in a DMZ and they have public IP addresses, but can only be accessed from inside my work network (thus requires VPN). When I use iSSH, I can see TCP connections being built in my VPN Firewall, thus I know the VPN is working. Now remember, these are the unix servers with private addresses.

When I use iTap for RDP, I do not see any matches on the firewall. It appears that for public addresses, the IPad IOS is preferring to use the general network connection instead of the VPN connection (thus not reaching the servers in the DMZ).

I see on PPTP and L2TP VPN you can select to "Forward all Packets" which from my understanding adds the default gateway to the VPN connection. I do not see this option for IPSec.

Can anyone give up any suggestions to a fix for this problem? It seems really strange that the IOS would not route everything through the VPN connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts