What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Children getting ipods for Christmas, who's itune account?

WTW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are giving our 2girls iPods for Christmas. What is the best way to get them started? Ie, should I.just add their device to my itune acct that I run my iPad from? Or start a new acct for them? Please explain your thoughts as I am new, To all this. Thank you.
Merry Christmas!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you share the same iTunes account, you can share apps and other content, which might or might not be what you want.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is also possible to setup them up with their own Apple ID, but still control how much they spend using iTunes Allowances or gift cards.

I suppose it depends on how mature they are and whether your tastes overlap enough to make it worth saving money. If they are mature enough that you trust them to pick their own music and apps, give them their own Apple ID, then using either the Allowance feature or Gift Cards, you can control how much they spend but leave them free to pick their own content (or buy gift cards for themselves out of their own pocket).

If they are still too young for that, leave them on you account and control what they get yourself.

If you share the same tastes and don't want to buy things twice, leave them on your account. How much you trust them with making purchases is up to you.

iOSmusicguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

My family all shares the same account. Then I sort out the differences at syncing time. I am not sure how much iCloud is going to mess me up :^). So far this has worked and I love being able to ask my 13 year old daughter about the stuff I see bought :^).

Cheers,

--kT

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you want everyone to have their own email, contacts, calendars, reminders and such you can set them up with their own iCloud accounts while keeping the iTunes account the same. That would mean everyone also gets their own 5GB of storage space for backups and whatever. Has no impact on what apps, music, or other iContent can be shared.

Apple IDs and iCloud

Most reactions

Latest posts