What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Checkerboard

Rob36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi..as a newbie to forums please excuse my lack of etiquette. I have a 64gb 3G iPad 2 and I still get the checkerboard scrolling down or even up on a website like engadget. I had thought this had been rectified and wondered if you have the same issues or is mine a faulty iPad 2.

Any feedback would be so helpful as I dont want to waste one of my days off to go the genius bar.

Thanks Rob

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It probably means that you've got a relatively slow data download speed. It's not a problem with the iPad, it's a connection/data throughput issue.

OP
R

Rob36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your quick response actually have the 100 mbs download with virgin media so I know it's not that. Wish it was!

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The checkerboard disappears in ios 5

iPad2 owner - any questions or problems...just ask.

OP
R

Rob36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really? No it's not due till the fall but there are some iPad 2 reviews on YouTube saying the checkerboard has gone compared to first iPad

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gunny008 said:
The checkerboard disappears in ios 5

iPad2 owner - any questions or problems...just ask.

iOS 5?? I have 4.3.3. When does 5 come out???

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
anmanwar said:
iOS 5?? I have 4.3.3. When does 5 come out???

Ios 5 will be avaiable in 'the fall'...so I'm guessing September alongside the new iPhone.

iPad 2 owner

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gunny008 said:
Ios 5 will be avaiable in 'the fall'...so I'm guessing September alongside the new iPhone.

iPad 2 owner

SO...will I be able to get iOS 5 without having a Mac? I heard it would "free me" from hooking my ipad 2 up to my ancient laptop

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
anmanwar said:
SO...will I be able to get iOS 5 without having a Mac? I heard it would "free me" from hooking my ipad 2 up to my ancient laptop

You will need a computer and iTunes to install ios 5 but once iOS 5 is installed, you would not a computer to update iPad software.

iPad 2 owner

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the "checker boarding" stuff going on big time but usually only when I'm on Facebook. So hopefully iOS 5 will repair that??

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
anmanwar said:
I have the "checker boarding" stuff going on big time but usually only when I'm on Facebook. So hopefully iOS 5 will repair that??

Yeah, it will repair the checkerboard issue

iPad 2 owner

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong (no doubts, I'm sure ;) ) but the checkerboarding isn't the problem, it's a symptom of the problem. The checkerboarding is iOS telling you that it hasn't finished loading the page you're looking at. iOS5 may replace the checkerboarding, but unless it has some way to make pages load faster, it won't solve the underlying situation.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, hold up. The "checkerboard" is an indication that all your iPad memory is in use and Safari is therefore needing to do a lot of memory management.

THIS IS EASILY SOLVED.

You just need to close all of the apps which are currently backgrounded and filling the memory.

To do this, double tap the home button. Then hold down on the first icon in the switcher bar which appears until the icons start to wiggle. Then just close ALL the apps in there by clicking on the little cross by each one. This will completely clear out your iPad memory and I assure you the checkerboard will be gone if you reload the page in Safari...

Hope that helps.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahhh, I'm not the OP, but thank you! Note (again, correct if wrong): rebooting the iPad does not close apps, the ones in memory before will reload (???). That seems to be what I'm seeing with a memory/process monitoring app.

Most reactions