What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging a US bought ipad in the UK

g1ggle7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know of any issues with charging a US bought ipad in the UK?
Do you need to purchase a different charger?
Thanks

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The charger will work on 110 or 220, but you will need to get an adapter so it will plug it into the outlet like one of these --

41Yw5STj-fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you are going to be using it all the time, you might want to buy the proper European plug that goes directly on the charger itself. The module with the American plug slides off and you can replace it with one that fits your outlets.

Last edited:

iPAD4ME

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No issues, did it myself for a month in June! But the UK uses 3 pin plugs so the adaptor needs to chAnge your 2 pin to the 3 pin, unlike to photo shown above of 2 pin. Also all 3 of the pins are rectangular, not round. The voltage changes automatically.

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ Correct. The round two pins are European. I remember those from my days stationed in Berlin.

U.K. plugs look thus:

UK%20Plugs.jpg

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Apple store sells a Travel Kit that is very useful. With it, you'll also get a longer (US) power cord - which I found cool.

MB974

It works with the MagSafe MacBook stuff too.

Most reactions