What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charger for iPad 3

Junebug21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What would be an affordable brand to get a charger from.
(Specifically iPad 3rd Generation)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

I’ve moved your post to it’s own thread. It wasn’t related to the topic of the thread where it has been posted.

You’ll find quite a few chargers on amazon. Just make sure they’re Apple certified.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What would be an affordable brand to get a charger from.
(Specifically iPad 3rd Generation) :)

Hi Junebug.. - welcome to the forum! :) Boy, your iPad 3 was first released in 2012 w/ the old 30-pin plug-in adapter! The charger that came w/ that iDevice would have likely been a 10W (5V x 2.0A) USB-A input, although a 12W adapter would be fine - so that is what your need to purchase. Of course, I'm assuming that your USB-A to 30-pin cable is functioning properly, i.e. you need to make sure that your cable is working fine also.

Johanna mentioned to make sure that whatever is purchased is Apple certified, not always an easy determination as I've noticed over the years while browsing on Amazon. Apple indeed has a certification program called MFi (Made For iPhone/iPod/iPad) (check the link), but in my experience this 'Apple Badge' of meeting their standards is often not mentioned or more likely not tested? Thus, you may need to rely more on the comments/questions left about the products you are considering. Dave

OP
J

Junebug21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I’m really sorry I gave the wrong name :/
It’s Apple iPad Air 3rd Generation
2BB5557F-0163-4BE5-803E-18540AA8F897.jpeg

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok I’m really sorry I gave the wrong name :/
It’s Apple iPad Air 3rd Generation
View attachment 90572

Hi again - well, that is a BIG difference - the iPad Air 3rd G was released in early 2019 and uses the lightning adapter cable for charging - the model came w/ a 12W charger (as shown below - LINK) which is available from Apple HERE - of course, more pricey than many of the Amazon options, but the same comments apply. Again, make sure that your cable is working (I've replaced many over the years). And, I'm not sure if your iPad is really on the older iPadOS shown above, but the current one is 14.2 - suggest upgrading. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 3.13.59 PM.png

OP
J

Junebug21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thank you my rabbit chewed through my cable. :/
Is there any specific one cable I need to get?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok thank you my rabbit chewed through my cable. :/
Is there any specific one cable I need to get?

Thanks! :)

Hi Junebug.. - OK, getting more confused here - do you simply need a new cable and/or a charger - but, if you need a cable simply get one like your chewed-up one - this should be a USB-A connector (for the charger) and a lightning connector for your iPad Air - MANY are available on Amazon; a few years ago, I bought a batch from the brand shown below, which is MFi certified and inexpensive. Since then, I upgraded from an iPad Air 2 to an iPadPro w/ a USB-C connector, so now in an alternate 'charger-cable world' - :cool: Dave

P.S. if you order the 3-pack shown or another brand, please pay attention to the lengths offered, e.g. 3 ft, 6 ft, and others.
Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 6.29.28 PM.png

OP
J

Junebug21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just the cable sorry about that.

Thank You So Much!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pretty much any Lighting to USB cable will work. If you want it to last get something at least as thick as the one that came with the iPad. If you want to future proof it go for something a bit tougher, like one of the nice ones with the woven jacket and extra bend support at the connector. I believe there are even armored ones, if you're determined to give the cable eating rat a toothache.

Anyway, there are too many decent choices to go over here. Just don't grab the cheapest you see. Look for indication that it has Apple's Mi-Fi certification. If you are shopping on Amazon, include MiFi in the search to help filter out the crud. If you are shopping local at a known outlet like Staples, Walmart, or another store, pretty much everything will be certified.

Most reactions

Latest posts