What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing Ownership of Used ipad1

robandjeanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there any pitfalls to changing ownership (I had a problem doing this once with an iphone). I'm about to acquire an ipad1 3G, and wondered if I would be limiting myself by not getting a newer one. Other than the camera, some speed and a few other items I doubt I would be that limited. From comments here it seems like most owners love them.

I would use mine for cruising the net, email, Netflix, and occasional Navigation. Are there Navigation apps that just use GPS without the data plan? I'm guessing Google maps works pretty well for the latest maps. I assume the original unlimited data plan no longer exists, but you can probably do a good bit of emailing and a few web sites even with 250MB/month. The ability to start and stop data at will is nice. Any known problems caused by upgrading to ios 5.X? I noticed some apps like TV guide require ios 5 or better.

Thanks,
Rob

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MotionX GPS HD works without a data plan. You can download or cache maps on wifi then use them offline. It works a treat.

If you've never owned an iPad and you can get an iPad 1 for a REALLY good price then go for it. You'll at least be able to see whether you like it enough to upgrade later.

You will probably find it quite limiting, though. There have been many improvements, and reading this forum might make you wish you'd put the money towards a newer one.

OP
R

robandjeanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I know the resolution is better on the newer ones, and a camera for facetime might be nice, but I doubt if I'll make many facetime or video calls. Also after playing with a friends ipad1, the resolution seemed pretty good. I was also amazed that Netflix seemed to work smoothly over 3g and we didn't have a strong connection. But you're right about the price. I would think a good price might be around $175, and certain no more than $200 for the 3g.

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We own and iPad 1 and a "New iPad" 3.
The 3 has a Retina Display but I put it in an Otterbox Defender which has a screen protector
and I can't tell the difference in the display between the iPad 1 and 3.
My wife's iPad 1 works just fine. It's my old 3G model but it never leaves the house so 3G is
no longer unused.

Most reactions

Latest posts