What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing iTunes Accounts on a JB iPad 2

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Currently have a JB iPad2 5.01, and use it for a lot of work out in the field (Commercial Real Estate). Would really benefit from a 4G connection and thinking of upgrading to the new iPad once it's released and giving my iPad 2 to my dad (since my mom has commandeered the iPad 1 we got him for Xmas) to use on their iTunes account.

My question is can I switch the iTunes account on the JB iPad2 over to their iTunes account simply by plugging in it to their iTunes and having and having iTunes make the switch, preserving the JB? I understand that it would lose the media saved on it (it's my movies and music, not something he would be interested in anyway). Or would it need to go through a restore, in which case that will be forced to go to 5.1 and no jailbreak until one was released.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will erase and restore your ipad because it is synced with another itunes library, thus losing the JB.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, it will not restore your iPad, thus making you lose the jail break.

When you plug the iPad into your parents' iTunes, you'll get the stock warning - something about "are you sure you want to sync this iPad with this iTunes, cause all your stuff will be gone off the iPad." Since you said you don't care - just hit yes and then the iPad will start to sync to whatever stuff is on your parent's iTunes. As the iPad expert, you'll probably have to help them to get stuff on it (like their contacts, music, etc), or to get it all straightened but that should be fine.

As they are a family member, you could even log in with your Apple ID and (after authorizing that iTunes as one of your five) download some of your apps to them. Yes, you'll have to keep logging between the two accounts, your and theirs, to keep the apps updated, but it shouldn't be too much trouble to keep up with.

Granted, I've never done this, but it should be relatively straight forward. Good luck.

Marilyn

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts