What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cellular Termination Fee

bho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In another post it was stated:

" many people are not aware of a new law passed for cell phone, MiFi contracts. The early termination fee is no longer a flat fee. The termination fee is adjusted by the length of time you have the contract less a specified dollar amount each month beginning from month one. You have to ask these questions with your cell provider."

Can anybody verify this because the Verizon salesman told me the early termination fee for their two year contract was $300 period. At the time I was trying out a Xoom (which I returned before trial ended) and was real leery about committing to a two year contract. If true, how would this work, terminate service after one year and then be charged $150 fee?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The normal early termination fee for Verizon is prorated, it reduces over time. I don't know the exact formula. When I got my Droid X, my sales rep was very clear on this point.

I don't see any reason why this would be different for the Xoom.

Try talking to a different sales rep. You may have gotten an under-educated one. They aren't robot kiosks. Some are good and knowledgeable, others haven't a clue.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And don't forget there are loopholes in any law. It generally boils down to going into a contract with the best information you can find and then being smarter than the sales people.

OP
B

bho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter now as I returned the Xoom before trial ended. Good information for the future. $5 a month doesn't seem like much credit though but I guess it's better then nothing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter now as I returned the Xoom before trial ended. Good information for the future. $5 a month doesn't seem like much credit though but I guess it's better then nothing.

Over 24 months it is $300, which is pretty close to the price difference between paying full price for a smart phone or getting it with a contract.

Most reactions

Latest posts