What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cellular data usage

dougc711

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't figure out what's eating up my data allowance. I rarely use my iPad where there is no wifi available, yet before I know it there's nothing left. I've asked my friends about their plans and most have the 1GB plan and rarely use any of it, Verizon is my carrier and i've got the newest iPad. Any suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to the Cellular Data settings and turn off all the permissions for using Cellular Data at the bottom of the page.

It won't hurt to browse through the settings for your other apps and look for similar options to turn off. There might be a few.

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't figure out what's eating up my data allowance. I rarely use my iPad where there is no wifi available, yet before I know it there's nothing left. I've asked my friends about their plans and most have the 1GB plan and rarely use any of it, Verizon is my carrier and i've got the newest iPad. Any suggestions?

Your missing data allowance are eaten by the running apps. For example, notification from facebook, tweeter etc. Some apps love to update their software, so your data allowance will be the victim...hehehe

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
iCloud could be your culprit here. If you activated the photo stream and are taking pictures with your iPad while on the cellular connection, this pics will be uploaded into your photo stream over 3G. Same goes for some apps that keep some data in iCloud like Pages and a Numbers.

Go in your settings and make sure that iCloud sync can only occur over wifi and not 3G.

Another explanation could be that you may occasionally lose wifi connection without noticing it and surf the web over 3G.

I don't know if tethering is available on the iPad (3G), but my girlfriend had issues with her iPhone as her laptop would switch to the iPhones connection while plugged in instead of using the available wifi network. The issue is that the iPhone will drop the wifi connection and share it's 3G connection with the laptop when tethering is activated. But that may not apply on the iPad... So she ended up using lots of data while using her laptop while having her iPhone plugged in to sync her music.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check your WiFi.. I once turned off the WiFi on my iPad and forgot that I did... I use a lot of data at home and because the WiFi was off, I was chewing up cell time like crazy when I thought I was using my local connection. I only got caught that way once :)

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iCloud could be your culprit here. If you activated the photo stream and are taking pictures with your iPad while on the cellular connection, this pics will be uploaded into your photo stream over 3G. Same goes for some apps that keep some data in iCloud like Pages and a Numbers.

Go in your settings and make sure that iCloud sync can only occur over wifi and not 3G.

Another explanation could be that you may occasionally lose wifi connection without noticing it and surf the web over 3G.

I don't know if tethering is available on the iPad (3G), but my girlfriend had issues with her iPhone as her laptop would switch to the iPhones connection while plugged in instead of using the available wifi network. The issue is that the iPhone will drop the wifi connection and share it's 3G connection with the laptop when tethering is activated. But that may not apply on the iPad... So she ended up using lots of data while using her laptop while having her iPhone plugged in to sync her music.

Hotspot thetering is available only for the new Ipad 3 IOS 6 updated. I'm happy with the update to IOS 6 because it is a huge improvement to set the ipad as a hotspot by using the 3G cellular plan...

Most reactions

Latest posts