What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Case or just smart cover?

cmmgar15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the otterbox defender and I love it. It does add a bit of weight but I dont mind as i have a 19mo little boy. Also the plastic removable hard cover for the screen has smart cover technology so it wakes the iPad when removed it also doubles as a stand in viewing and typing modes. All in all its a great case with a built in screen protector.

Sweetchinmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Case with smart cover, if it wasn't for the dust issue in my house I would have went the open case...

tiffy83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the same smart feather back case for the iPad2 work on the 3??

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought a incipio feather lite case for the back in black that's made for the third gen iPad, so you don't need a cover made for the second gen.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm using a Smart Cover right now (love it!) and I'm waiting for a skin to come in to put on the back. I like the Smart Cover because I like the "wake from sleep" idea - not that concerned about the screen.

I'm not too concerned about scratches, it's just that I like a little less of the cold metal touching my hands.

If I wasn't so fascinated with the Smart Cover, I'd have nothing on the iPad (well, except the skin for "warmth"). I like my iPad as light as possible...

Marilyn

Couple of questions on the smart cover by Apple....Does it fit perfectly on the New iPad ? There was some news that the sleep/wake feature was not working with the Smart Cover on the New iPad ? is that True ?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
augustya said:
Couple of questions on the smart cover by Apple....Does it fit perfectly on the New iPad ? There was some news that the sleep/wake feature was not working with the Smart Cover on the New iPad ? is that True ?

My smart cover wore out in less than a year. The glue that holds it together came loose. I don't recommend it. At least not the $70 leather one.

Fatboy71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I initially purchased the smart cover, but I found it very limited and over priced.

You have choice of 2 positions. The more upright position was too steep to view the iPad's screen when surfing and it kept falling over when I was using the iPad on my lap.

Admittedly, the iPad keeps its good looks, but at the price of not having any sort of decent amount of viewing angles, and no protection to the back. I think if Apple really put some thought into it, they could come up with a stylish and practical case that protected the front and back and provided a decent amount of viewing angles.

I purchased the below case, and I find it superb. It provides me with loads of viewing angles, I can place the iPad on my lap, and view the screen whilst surfing, type on the iPad and it doesn't fall over, it protects the front and back of the iPad.

Apple iPad 3 Advanced Pro® Multi-Function Case Luxury: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My smart cover wore out in less than a year. The glue that holds it together came loose. I don't recommend it. At least not the $70 leather one.

Did u try the Smart cover on the new iPad is the Sleep/wake feature working with the smart cover on the new iPad ?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
augustya said:
Did u try the Smart cover on the new iPad is the Sleep/wake feature working with the smart cover on the new iPad ?

Yes, mine works just fine in terms of the on/off screen business.

dbergeronohio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a new IPad owner. I have gone with a Zagg screen protector, smart cover(Apple) and a Zagg leather back skin. It is too sloppy otherwise. Other ideas?

Regards

Qwho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am still looking for a shell for the back, I want very minimal, not sure if rigid or semi rigid is best, and perfect fit, with a nice feel to provide a bit of grip, any recommendations?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am still looking for a shell for the back, I want very minimal, not sure if rigid or semi rigid is best, and perfect fit, with a nice feel to provide a bit of grip, any recommendations?

You can get a skin...like those at iCarbons - New iPad (3rd Gen) (look for the back only unless you want to cover the front bezel too). One think I like about most skins is there are no finger prints...so they look nice all the time, but they don't protect against hard dings...

or you can get a snap-on back cover, like the incipio smart feather...

Incipio new iPad Smart feather Ultralight Hard Shell Case, new iPad Cases, iPad 3 Cases, iPad 3rd Generation Cases, new iPad Covers, new iPad Sleeves, new iPad Carrying Cases, new iPad Hard Cases, the new iPad

which is designed to work with the Apple Smart cover. They have another model that has it's own front case, so you don't need the Apple one...(I have this and it is a finger print magnet)

I have also ordered this:

Garrison Premium Folio Case For Apple new iPad (3rd Gen.)

I don't like to recommend cases to quickly...they are difficult for me to get a grip on...which is why I have more than one.....the only one I feel confident in recommending in general is the Bear Motion case...which I have started a thread on here, in fact. But sometimes I like to go minimal, so I want something like a smart cover and a back...a smart cover and a skin is the lightest option...most of the snap-on backs will actually fit over the skin...and the skin fits inside the Bear Motion too...so my plan is to keep a skin on the back...and then to change up cases as the mood suites...that way, the skin will keep the scratches off the back cover. IME, leaving off the skin will eventually get you a scratch..because they happen when you least expect them.

Most reactions

Latest posts