What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Case for 12.9 2018 with Pencil 2

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i have searched everywhere and no cases except Apple’s keyboard and folio allow for the Pencil 2 charging and storage while use. I wanted a ZUGU (Use w/a Logitech keyboard) and discovered that their 2018 wouldn’t work so they are redesigning to accommodate Pencil 2 charging. I understand that the Pencil must magnetically connect at the side/top on the Ipad edge and it appears that Apple surprised the case mfgs with the new charging for the Pencil 2 and none of them that I can find allow for that. I’m uncomfortable with n9 case so if anyone has any ideas how to protect the 2018 until more cases become available, please advise,

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks twerpoet. i actually have one about that size so guess I will do that. Hoping Zugu gets it right after redesign that I can use in lap or with Logitech keyboard at desk/table. I also have the Logitech Slimcase keyboard case for the gen 1 12.9 and like it fairly well because you can pull the Ipad with back and kickstand off the keyboard and use separately. It just appears that though case mfgs got the size and ports right they missed knowing about the wireless Pencil charging.

MCube74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get a case for 12” notebook or MacBook. Should fit fine.

I got one for like US $12 at a store in Hong Kong.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Zugu, which is my first choice, says they have redesigned with a tube on long side where you will be able to connect, charge and store—available 12/14 or thereabouts. I bought the Apple folio after dragging out my old cheap folio and finding it works okay for the time being. I will probably eventually add a Zugu after I see several months of use with the Pencil without issues.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I broke down and bought the Apple folio. The Zugu case I would really like won’t be available until January sometime—and because of the redesign due to the Pencil, I want to see how people feel about usage of the case. The folio is not the best one for me—I use the Ipad and type on it too in my lap—a lot. It works great at a table or desk with my Logitech BT keyboard however. It also is not good if you use the Pencil a lot—esp. in lap again—its just not the right angle even when you turn it around for what is referred to as typing angle—I tend to use it with a Techmatte stand that allows any angle.

dhbailey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Ztotop case and it works very well. The pencil is able to attach and charge, the cover has the magnets to turn the iPad on and off when opening or closing the case, it looks very nice, comes in 4 colors (mine is brown leather), costs around $25 at Amazon. I was hoping for a case in which the iPad can rotate to be used in either portrait or landscape mode, but am so happy with this case which allows me to use my collapsible iKlip stand for portrait mode that I may not invest in another case. While it has the side completely open to keep the pencil attached using the magnets, there is also a loop to hold the pencil more securely if desired. Inside the fold-back cover is a hand-loop to facilitate holding the iPad. All in all a very well thought-out and very affordable case.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I actually liked that ZtoTop case but needed at least one or two more angles—and liked the idea of the loop. i wish someone would make a case with several angles that uses the same technique as the Apple folio with the magnets holding it on the back of the Ipad—like that which allows for quick removal instead of clipping it into a more rigid case on back.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought the Ztotop case and it works very well. The pencil is able to attach and charge, the cover has the magnets to turn the iPad on and off when opening or closing the case, it looks very nice, comes in 4 colors (mine is brown leather), costs around $25 at Amazon. I was hoping for a case in which the iPad can rotate to be used in either portrait or landscape mode, but am so happy with this case which allows me to use my collapsible iKlip stand for portrait mode that I may not invest in another case. While it has the side completely open to keep the pencil attached using the magnets, there is also a loop to hold the pencil more securely if desired. Inside the fold-back cover is a hand-loop to facilitate holding the iPad. All in all a very well thought-out and very affordable case.

I keep looking at this case and the only thing keeping me from ordering is whether the lowest angle is low enough to type comfortably on the screen. I do use a separate Logitech keyboard some at a desk but often type on the screen in my lap—and use the Pencil a lot also—photo apps for masking/selection, notetaking, annotate pdfs, etc. It appears it would have enough of a base to be balanced so its just the angle.

I’ve also looked at the ProCase which is similar but several people mention that the holders around the bezel make it very difficult to use the swipe up from the bottom in landscape—the Ztotop does not look as though that would be an issue at all.

Thanks for any comments.

Last edited:
OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Back again about cases. My needs/wants may not be the same as many but the right case can mean a better use (or maybe more enjoyable should be the better word) of the Ipad. I’ve had Ipads since the first one just several weeks after it came out so have been thru many cases and covers and know they can make a big difference in how one uses it. My 1st gen 12.9 Pro had 2 good cases, at least for me. I had the Logitech Slim Combo keyboard case and it was quite good with its kickstand that allowed me to adjust to usable angles in my lap (typing, using Pencil, reading, viewing) and very good back lit, 4 row, full size keyboard for the 12.9. Unfortunately the kickstand started to become unreliable and I moved to a Zugu case with 8 angles which worked great in my lap or with my Logitech BT keyboard at a desk/table.

Now i’ve followed the ZUGU case for the 12.9 which is just starting to be delivered and it seems they are having some tolerance issues for the Pencil on some so haven’t ordered yet. In the meantime I learned of the Brydge keyboard case for the 2018 12.9 which will be available for preorders 1/9 and looks promising. It appears to be more flexible than the previous ones (has tablet mode, viewing mode and people say it works well in lap for typing) and more reliable and weight isn’t an issue for me (it will be about 3# combined, ZUGU 2.5# combined and they effectively double the weight of the Ipad but handling, etc are more important to me than the weight).

My question is if anyone has used a Brydge keyboard case on their older 12.9s (I”ve used a ZUGU so know how that would function). How did you like it—don’t expect I will find anyone who has had either the Apple keyboard or the Logitech Slim Combo AND the Brydge—so it makes it hard to compare but really looking for anyone who has used one—reviews are slim on the net and your experience.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thought I would mention that I did preorder the Brydge keyboard case for my 2018 12.9 Pro. I received it last week and have to say I love it. Because I use the keyboard often and touch type, this works very well for me. It is heavier—probably feels about as weighty as the Logitech Slim Combo keyboard I had for my gen 1 12.9. I like that I can use anywhere—including my lap—the screen can be set at any angle and the Ipad sits firmly in my lap. The keyboard has 6 rows so complete keyboard and pleasant to type on. You can easily pull the Ipad out of the hinges and reverse to use for viewing only—or like me to process photos in RAW Power, Affinity, Polarr or Pixelmator Photo with the Pencil (for masking, selection, etc). It allows Pencil 2 charging on the top—but this is not a case that will protect corners/edges of the Ipad. When shut it looks like a Macbook (though my late 2015 Macbook Pro 15” is heavier and bulkier), uses USBc to charge but supposedly the battery will last 12 months with ‘normal’ use. You can charge it from the Ipad with the short USBc to USBc cable included also. Also if you are in an environment where there are a lot of BT devices, you can use the USBc connection for typing instead of BT. Might also mention their support is very responsive.

So—its a good choice for me. Glad I decided to try it. NOW—if Apple would allow accessibility to external drives via USBc I could migrate all my work to the Ipad. I’ve been doing it over the years as IOS has improved—especially IOS 11 made the big difference. Waiting for WWDC to see what Apple has for us in IOS 13.

Most reactions

Latest posts