What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car charging

zman764

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I have a 32gb Verizon ipad2 and a 2010 Nissan maxima premium package which includes Bose stereo with iPod integration. The center console has a USB port which charges your iPod while allowing the stereo to control it. I am sitting in my car playing the iPad through the stereo and posting this message the iPod function is working normally. But the iPad says "not charging" beside the battery... Any thoughts?

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad needs more than the 5watts the USB plug is providing, if you look at the charger that came with your iPad it is 10watts. The port is charging, but very slowly, in fact your iPad should give the same message when plugged into your computer USB.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get an iPad auto charger if you want to charge your iPad at full capacity quickly. I recommend Griffin's car charger, which has worked well for me for more than a year, but I'm sure there are others that work well, too.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Currently plugged into my 2008 white MacBook via USB my iPad 2 is charging

Newer Macs supply more current. My 2009 iMac also charges (no not charging warning), but it is still slower than using the 10W power supply that comes with the iPad.

Many other computers, especially older ones, supply less amperage, so the iPad says it is not charging. If you turn off the screen, it usually will charge, but very slowly.

Almost any USB charger designed for smaller devices, even iPods and iPhones, will not supply enough amperage to charge the iPad quickly. Most will probably charge it slowly if it is off. Some probably won't even do that. That charger that came with your bluetooth headset? Forget it.

Rich2putt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most new vehicles have a 110v either near the cigarette lighter or inside the center console.

My 2008 Outlander and 2010 Tacoma had a 110v plug..

Most reactions

Latest posts