What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car Chargers

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will the Belkin Car & 110 volt charger I got for my Ipod Touch also work with my soon to be here Ipad? Hope so, that is 1 less accessory I will need to buy!!!;)

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will the Belkin Car & 110 volt charger I got for my Ipod Touch also work with my soon to be here Ipad? Hope so, that is 1 less accessory I will need to buy!!!;)

If you dont have any info on the charger you will have to try it to find out. I have a couple of iPod Belkin car chargers, one of them charges my iPad while using the other only charges when the iPad is not in use.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad uses a 2A output for it's charger. So if the car charger says 2A or possibly 2000ma output (same thing), you would probably be fine. If it says something like 500ma output, that's only a quarter of the charge that the OEM iPad charger can output...so most likely it will only charge if it is off, and even then so slowly that it wouldn't be worth it except for very long trips.

OP
Hivoltage

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OOPS, actually it is a DLO Power Bug and only good for 500ma, guess I need a new one. Thanks Guys.

siliconrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad has 2 lipolymer batteries to feed so it does take a significant amount of juice to feed. I would wager that most car-to-USB chargers made prior to 2010 don't have much over 1 amp output because the older USB specs do not call for that much juice.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to find car chargers that have a 2a output, but they are all hard wired for mini usb. I couldn't find a single charger that was 2a AND was just a female USB port.

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When is Apple going to make a car charger? This seems like a no-brainer... Why didn't they do this from the start?

CM

wkramer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Griffin "Power Duo" ($49.95) from the Apple store. It is rated at 2.1 amp and can be used with IPod, Ipod Touch and IPad.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan on getting the Kensington Power Block from Apple. Several manufacturers make models, but seem to only sell through Apple.

Most reactions

Latest posts