What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't switch off when charging

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I usually charge my iPad overnight and I prefer to have it switched off. I have noticed that if I switch it off, then plug it into the charger, it switches back on. So I tried plugging it in, then turning it off, but that doesn't work either. It just switches itself straight back on again.

How do I get it to stay turned off whilst charging?

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quicksilver71 said:
I usually charge my iPad overnight and I prefer to have it switched off. I have noticed that if I switch it off, then plug it into the charger, it switches back on. So I tried plugging it in, then turning it off, but that doesn't work either. It just switches itself straight back on again.

I've heard many people say the iPad won't shut off during charging, but when I plug the charger in and turn the iPad off, it stays off. Try it again; there's a possibility the charger came off slightly and was pushed back, thus turning on the iPad.

Last edited:

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quicksilver71 said:

Plug it in first. Then hold the power button down until you get the "slide to turn off"prompt. Then slide it. I know, Apple should have made it easier.

OP
Q

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Montereybob said:
Plug it in first. Then hold the power button down until you get the "slide to turn off"prompt. Then slide it. I know, Apple should have made it easier.

That's what I am doing. It shuts down, then 10 seconds later it starts up again!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quicksilver71 said:
That's what I am doing. It shuts down, then 10 seconds later it starts up again!

I like to have it off too so I don't get woken up by notifications from iPF! :D I will get the most random stuff around midnight.
If the battery is below like 20% it will turn back on. Weird, but that's what I have found. I used to run it under 20% and it would turn back on. But now I charge it every night and it doesn't get below like 30-45%. Experiment and see.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad does this too at the moment. I'm sure there is something installed which causes this. I had it for several months, then it stopped doing it for several months, and now it has been doing it again since 4.3.1. I've seen it happen on both stock and jailbroken iPads, so I don't think it's anything to do with jailbreaking.
I'm stumped as to what it actually is though! If I ever find out I'll let you know.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine's done that since brand new (~6 months), I just figured it was supposed to do that. Never really bothered me enough to look into it.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
Mine's done that since brand new (~6 months), I just figured it was supposed to do that. Never really bothered me enough to look into it.

Mine will turn off.... :)

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually tried this a few days back to see and my iPad seems to stay off. I plug it in and then turn it off even when its under 20%

BBSean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your charger is the culprit. I had this problem and eventually the ipad wouldnt charge at all. Apple even gave me a new ipad ( not a new charger.) When i got the new ipad home, i had the same exact problem. I changed chargers and the replacement ipad has been fine ever since. Try a different charger and see if it shuts off.

Sean

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Nope. I have 3 chargers. I am convinced it is software related, sorry :)

I agree with you, my iPad used to turn back on, but it stopped when I updated to like 4.2. Same charger.
I do have a secret...

This is my second iPad.
The first one had a dead pixel, so I got another one, which is this one.
Then a month later, I found another dead pixel, but the return period was over and I want about to pay a restocking fee for a tiny pixel so here I am, second iPad and at least 4 dead pixels I have found so far. And some backlight bleeding, but oh well.

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I leave my iPad charging overnight and it switches itself off after a few moment back to standby. I don't think you can charge from turning off completely, with holding down the on switch and swiping, when you plug the charger in the iPad will boot itself up again thus turning back on.

Sent from Wales, using my iPad & iPF.

Most reactions

Latest posts