What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't restore iPad 2

Meneldur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!
I have an iPad 2 that worked perfectly until one day it entered recovery mode. Nothing happened before, just reading a book and it hung.
From there I can't recover the iPad. It shows the recovery iTunes logo, reboots and sits there with the Apple logo. Forever. I tried using Windows and Linux, iTunes and idevicerestore, 3 different cables, 3 computers, even a Mac. Nothing.
Basically I think the iPad must enter "restore mode" after first reboot when recovering, where the Apple logo shows a progress bar below. There's the problem, it is NOT entering restore mode (different from recovery mode).
Any help?

OP
M

Meneldur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried all that, on Windows and Linux, using latest iTunes, restoring manually from ipsw file, using idevicerestore from libimobiledevice, starting normally or in DFU. It's like the recovery process starts with iTunes/idevicerestore sending some code to put the iPad in "restore mode" but the iPad won't enter that mode. iTunes shows "error 4013", idevicerestore just times out.
I remember in February this iPad already entered recovery mode alone, and after 4 hs trying to restore it, simply started the process as if nothing happened before.
I found on the iPhone wiki that if iBEC gets damaged, the iPhone/iPad will not enter restore mode. Looks similar to this iPad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Error 4013 usually shows problems with the USB connection. Here's what Apple Support says:

If there’s an issue with the USB port, cable, dock, or hub, or if the device becomes disconnected during restore, try troubleshooting the USB connection, then troubleshooting your security software.

To narrow down the issue, you can also change up your hardware:

Use another USB cable.
Plug your cable into a different USB port on your computer.
Try a different dock connector (or no dock).
Add (or remove) a USB hub between your device and computer.
Connect your computer directly to your Internet source, with no routers, hubs, or switches.

Here's the link to troubleshoot the USB connection:http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5254
This one is for security software issues: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3125

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts