What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't import and then play video files from SD in camcorder

RedLenin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Struggling here - I have .MTS files on an SD card and I can't import them into my iPad.

From earlier searches I understand that video files need to be in the DCIM folder of the SD card. That's my first problem - they aren't in that folder. My Sony camcorder puts them in Private/AVCHD/BDMV/Stream so my iPad can't see them. How do I get round this, please? Is there perhaps a file management app that can read these cards and manipulate my video files?

Second question - if I succeed in getting my iPad to see these files, will it be able to play .MTS files? If not, how can I get it to convert them to a supported format?

OP
R

RedLenin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you but I've already Googled it a lot and all of the solutions proposed involve using a PC or a Mac to process the SD card files *before* connecting it to the iPad. I want the iPad itself to do these things so that I can view my videos immediately (before returning home from a holiday, for example). I can do this with photos so why not also with videos?

OP
R

RedLenin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's disappointing that no-one else has responded to this. Users who are not very technical expect that the device to which you attach an SD card (in this case the iPad) will know how to process the files that are on it without any further action on their part. This should surely be on Apple's todo list.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ipad will not play mts files. If you want to use those, you have no choice but to covert them on a pc or Mac. Also, it will not load them from an sd card. The sd card is for the camera connection kit and that is for loading photos onto the iPad.

Last edited:
OP
R

RedLenin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad will not play mts files. If you want to use those, you have no choice but to covert them on a pc or Mac. Also, it will not load them from an sd card. The sd card is for the camera connection kit and that is for loading photos onto the iPad.
<br>
Lots of cameras do video, too, so an iPad should be set up to play such files from an SD card. It seems that an iPad can't do this - are you happy with that?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RedLenin said:
<br>
Lots of cameras do video, too, so an iPad should be set up to play such files from an SD card. It seems that an iPad can't do this - are you happy with that?

The real problem is that each camera manufacturer has its own preferred video format it likes to use. There is no industry standard that they all stick to like they do with photos. That is why the CCK can do photos quite well, but videos are a bit hit an miss.

Even on a PC or Mac, you will find some editing software plays well with some formats and no so good with others.

Remember the iPad is not a storage device, and apps like Avid and iMovie are designed to edit user videos shot with the on board camera.

If you merely want to playback, then third party apps like OPlayerHD or AVPlayer will handle most non iPad standard files. My recommendation is to put your files on a NAS or transfer via iTunes file transfer or use cloud storage.

Most reactions