What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having problems copying video to iPad?

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I can't get iTunes to upload my video files to my iPad3.

They are .MP4v files.

When I load them into iTunes is says "This file was not copied to your iPad because it can't be played on the iPad".
They play fine in iTunes.

One of the files is one that was previously on the iPad in my Videos folder.
Somehow it disappeared from there and I'm trying to put it back.

I have another video in there same format that I did upload successfully a few weeks ago, created in exactly the same way.

If I copy the same files to Drop Box I can open them and play them on the iPad with no problems.

How can I one....

Get iTunes to recognize that the files will play on the iPad?

Or two...

How can I move the files from Dropbox to my Video area on the iPad?
I don't see any way to do this.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Totallylagit

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried to rename it to .MP4 rather than .MP4v? I've never heard of the v and this is only a guess but it may help

OP
M

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry you are right, they are M4v files. No "P".
Adobe Premiere outputs MP2 files to I have to convert everything using Handbrake.

There are a lot of options for output in Handbrake, I've tried the iPad setting but the Regular setting seems to work best, I haven't tried the Legacy iPad setting since I have an iPad3 but I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Mike

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at this Wikipedia page concerning the .m4v file. It's a container file type, meaning there are other files "inside" it. Those files are video, audio and may include subtitles. The Wikipedia article explains it fully, and should let you know how to set up Handbrake.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4V

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
M

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Do you have any idea how I can move files from Drop-box to the Video list on the iPad?
If I have to I can just put all the video files in Drop-box and play them from there but I'd like to have them appear in Video.

Mike

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikeMoss said:
Hi

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Do you have any idea how I can move files from Drop-box to the Video list on the iPad?
If I have to I can just put all the video files in Drop-box and play them from there but I'd like to have them appear in Video.

Mike

You will need to use a 3rd party video app with Dropbox support to do it. As a bonus, then you can be more flexible with the video formats. OPlayerHD just added Dropbox support, not sure about others.

I believe you can only get files into the stock video app via iTunes sync.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The problem with the stock video app on iPad is that it only plays a limited number of file types. I prefer to use a third party app like avplayerhd which can handle a much larger number of file types plus it gives you more flexible means to get vids loaded on your iPad: wifi transfers via your browser or FTP, as well as through iTunes. Such apps are inexpensive and the enhances features are worth the price, IMO.

OP
M

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the information, I'll check it out.
It's kind of frustrating I know that the files will play on the iPad but I can't get iTunes Sync to believe it and it refuses to upload them to it.

Mike

OP
M

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I never could get iTunes to send the files to my iPad i have four videos in iTunes and play fine but it won't send them to my iPad3.

I did resolve the problem by using Dropbox and iFiles.

Once I place the files in DropBox on my PC they become available in the in the Videos folder in iFiles on my iPad and they all run fine.
This is actually a much easier way to handle it then going through iTunes.

I can add and remove videos when every I want just by copying them in to DropBox, when I look on the iPad they are there, just a short download time when you first view them, after that they play instantly.

If I want to remove them I just take them out of DropBox and delete them on the iPad in iFiles.
Quick and easy!

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
M4V files load just fine to iTunes and then on to your iPad or iPhone. HandBrake makes them M4V files but iTunes handles them quite well. Just ripped and burned a half a dozen movies yesterday and easily transferred them via iTunes to two New iPads for a trip.

OP
M

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Wolfpuppies3, top of the morning.

Not on topic but,

We have had Scottish Deerhounds for almost 40 years, I have 2 at present.

But we did have one Irish Wolfhound names Darby.
He was one of my favorite dogs, and he defied statistics and live to be 10 years old.

Mike and Ollie.jpg

This is our 4 year old male Deerhound, Oliver.
I shot a really nice video of him doing agility, with my iPad, in fact it's one of the videos I was having problems loading back into it after editing.

Mike

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts