What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't get Ipad to shut down holding one or both buttons

blazes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried various suggestions on getting Ipad to shut down and nothing is working. The only thing I see is the battery in red. Even when I plug it in that is all I see and cannot get it to shut down. I held both buttons down for over a minute and aside from a few flashes on the screen nothing happens. Help!
Now all I see is the itunes symbol and the usb cord.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iTunes symbol with the cord means you'll have to put your device into recovery mode. Here are the instructions:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Your description with the red battery sounds like it's low on power. Let it charge for at least 30 minutes, before you use recovery mode.

Usually, it's possible to turn off the iPad by using the Power button only. If you press Home and Power button, you'll reset/reboot your iPad, which will turn it on automatically after the reset, but it won't shut down your device.

Another method to power off the iPad without any buttons, would be to use Assistive Touch. You can find it in Settings - Accessibility. When you enable the feature, a semi-transparent button will appear.
image.jpeg

Tapping it once, will show you six choices. One of these should be "Device". Tap it, and then you should find "Lock Screen". When you tap and hold this for some time, you'll get the slider with "slide to power off", as usual when you turn off your device.

Last edited:
OP
B

blazes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iTunes symbol with the cord means you'll have to put your device into recovery mode. Here are the instructions:

Your description with the red battery sounds like it's low on power. Let it charge for at least 30 minutes, before you use recovery mode.

Usually, it's possible to turn off the iPad by using the Power button only. If you press Home and Power button, you'll reset/reboot your iPad, which will turn it on automatically after the reset, but it won't shut down your device.

Another method to power off the iPad without any buttons, would be to use Assistive Touch. You can find it in Settings - Accessibility. When you enable the feature, a semi-transparent button will appear.
View attachment 69496
Tapping it once, will show you six choices. One of these should be "Device". Tap it, and then you should find "Lock Screen". When you tap and hold this for some time, you'll get the slider with "slide to power off", as usual when you turn off your device.

View attachment 69496

View attachment 69496

The power button won't work, it is not charging and I can't get to the home screen. The only thing showing now is the apple symbol and the usb cord. I will try your suggestion above and try and get it to respond in itunes.

OP
B

blazes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well going into itunes didn't work. I got a message that said "There was a problem downloading the software for ipad, an unknown error occurred (1671) . I tried both updating and restoring. Nothing
It is now extracting software in the restore mode. crossing fingers

Update: I ended up having to restore the entire ipad. I was able to backup with icloud. It does take quite a bit of time for this process. Hopefully it will work when completed.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts