What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't delete old email addresses

newenglander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Friend of mine has needed to close his 2 yahoo accounts. So, I delete them in the "contacts" app area where I also have his (and everyones) u.s. mail addresses, phone numbers, etc... When I type in the 1st letter of his name the two email addresses still pop up to select! SO, I deleted his entire contact in the "contact" app. to see if that would do it. NO email addresses STILL showing up!
Anyone know how to delete an email address so it won't keep coming back up?
Deleted them out of Outlook Express so when it syncs I was hoping that would do the trick. Wrong.................

Mikenfla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same issue, non contact email addresses continue to pop up when I type in the first letter.
Seems like a privacy issue as well.
Can anyone help me delete non contacts from mail?
Thanks!

OP
N

newenglander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was beginning to think it was just me! Hopefully some resolution to
this with the OS update later this year...

racingturtle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings,

Alas, I do not have an answer. I am experiencing the same challenge and I am running the most recent version of the OS (4.2.1). Further I have tried every trick I can think of in Contacts to delete the rogue email address or at least disable the association to no avail. Earlier today I was in an Apple Store and presented the problem to 2 different techs. Neither had a fix.

Nicka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something to try.

It seems to be responsive to e-mail address that are used a lot. Can you just select the right one several times as a trial and then the last used might show up first and the others eventually disappear. I’m new so I may be wrong, but it seems worth a try.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried deleting address' from your host computer?

You haven't said if your email account is on a server accessible from a browser like gmail or from a private provider.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the Outlook type of mail. I never put contacts in my iPAD, they all come from my Outlook server. So I assume in your case , you should find a way to delete the source on your server.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The same thing just happened to me. Entered a typo, and now it's stored in Auto fill, yet not in contacts ( comes up under a recently used name though.)
There are lots of postings on this on other sights, but no answers, ( seems common on iPhone also) we need a way to clear "recent contacts" like on a real OS x machine. I've tried every way I could to trick it, even adding it to a real contact and deleting it- no luck :(
Any one figured this out?

Lester Moar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem

A line above says, "This section is for iPad Tech Support. Got a problem, don't understand something? We are here to help!" Well... There is apparently several of us with the same problem. WHERE IS TECH SUPPORT? Come on guys... IPad 2 is due out soon. You want us to buy it so you can keep your job? How about giving us a little help like you promised! Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad's native Mail app keeps a 'previous recipients' list of recently used email addresses. So deleting an address from your Contacts list has no effect, unfortunately.

On the Mac, you can edit/delete this list, but the iPad does not have this facility. This can be annoying if you accidentally mis-type an email address because, even after subsequently correcting it, this erroneous address will 'pop up' if its first few letters match that of the correct address.

What is not clear is how long - time or number of entries - this previous recipients list is........anyone out there know?

Tim
Scotland

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The iPad's native Mail app keeps a 'previous recipients' list of recently used email addresses. So deleting an address from your Contacts list has no effect, unfortunately.

On the Mac, you can edit/delete this list, but the iPad does not have this facility. This can be annoying if you accidentally mis-type an email address because, even after subsequently correcting it, this erroneous address will 'pop up' if its first few letters match that of the correct address.

What is not clear is how long - time or number of entries - this previous recipients list is........anyone out there know?

Tim
Scotland

I had same problem with a mistyped address only on the iPad and it seems it's there for ever! Annoying.
Spoke to help line during my first three months free help and they say you would need to reset whole machine, no use at all as would lose all sorts of data. Really not good.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A line above says, "This section is for iPad Tech Support. Got a problem, don't understand something? We are here to help!" Well... There is apparently several of us with the same problem. WHERE IS TECH SUPPORT? Come on guys... IPad 2 is due out soon. You want us to buy it so you can keep your job? How about giving us a little help like you promised! Thanks!

The iPad Forum is not affiliated to Apple in any way at all, as far as I know. It's just a group of people who are iPad enthusiasts who are trying to help each other. But we have no 'inside track' on the iPad; as far as I'm aware none of us work for that company (I suspect that Apple probably wouldn't appreciate its employees being members of this Forum!!). We just enjoy our iPads and like to talk to (and help if we can) other similarly-minded people.

I think that this 'previous address' issue probably has no 'work around'. But these previously used addresses do seem to 'disappear' after a while from my experience - so the list definitely has a finite size or duration. I know that's not much help!!

As you know, apps in the iPad are 'sandboxed' - i.e. they have very limited scope for interaction. Upside is great protection against viruses - downside is that, in this case, it's probably impossible for another app to 'get access to' this previously used address list and edit/delete it. To allow such access would open up the opportunity for computer viruses.

Sorry, though, we've been a bit slow on dealing with this question. I think that several of us, because we didn't really have a good answer, thought that there must be someone else out there with a better solution. Is this called 'passing the buck'??!!

What am I doing, up this early in the morning on a weekend, playing on my iPad - I need to get a life.....

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts