What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot successfully set up for Roadrunner email

GeneDavis3rd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went to MAIL setup.

Entered account information, all after tapping POP.

Name, email address, description ("My Roadrunner Mail Account").

Host name for incoming: pop-server.roadrunner.com
User name for incoming: same as email username (string ahead of @)
Password: same as for email

Host name for outgoing: smtp-server.roadrunner.com
Username and password entries were optional, so I left them out.

Did SAVE.

iPad does a "verifying" wait, then returns with "Cannot connect using SSL" No matter what route I take, whether YES or NO, she bombs out.

Any advice is appreciated.

edmouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a few roadrunner accounts and I'm fine. I've been fine since the first iPhone. I think

my incoming is pop-server.nyc.rr.com
my outgoing is smtp-server.nyc.rr.com

maybe you need to use rr instead of roadrunner? I'm in New York of course. Don't know what's different for you.

edmouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just checked something. I have a friend upstate NY in Woodstock. Her info is hvc.rr.com. I see you are in Lake Placid. I'm pretty sure AppleCare will know by now. And for sure your roadrunner cable co. office will know.

I've called both with email questions and both were always able to help.

notouch002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I offer you go to Roadrunner Webmail for more information about Roadrunner Webmail.

applenoob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gene..I'm having the same problem setting up my WOW (wowway) pop3 email. Did you have any luck getting anything to work? Anyone else have any ideas?

Joa66Dea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can get my IPad to receive incoming mail from roadrunner but it will not connect to send email. Neither Time Warner or Apple help is of much use. All of the settings are supposedly correct for Road Runner and Apple help's only comment is to try and restore the IPad which then wipes out a lot of things that we don't want to redo.

In the IPad Account Setup I have the following:
POP Account Information:
Name: cccc
Address: Email name at address stny.rr.com
Description: Email name at address stny.rr.com

Incoming Mail Server
Host Name: pop-server.stny.rr.com
User Name: cccc
Password: xxxxxx

Outgoing Mail Server
SMTP: smtp-server.stny.rr.com

When I expand on the SMTP line I have the following:

Host Name: smtp-server.stny.rr.com
User Name: cccc
Password: xxxxxx
Use SSL: Off
Authentication: Off
Server Port: 25

Any help would be appreciated.

JD

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you guys using WiFi or 3G ?

I'm sure that RR would require that you are coming in on a RR ip address to allow SMTP (outgoing email) to work... ie using a 3G connection will probably cause the RR SMTP server to deny access...

I dunno if RR allows "POP before SMTP" or any other alternative SMTP authentication mechanism...

Joa66Dea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you guys using WiFi or 3G ?

I'm sure that RR would require that you are coming in on a RR ip address to allow SMTP (outgoing email) to work... ie using a 3G connection will probably cause the RR SMTP server to deny access...

I dunno if RR allows "POP before SMTP" or any other alternative SMTP authentication mechanism...

No 3G. Using in house wireless network connected to roadrunner cable modem. Everything works on the PCs used on the same network. Roadrunner lists the following info for email servers:

The outgoing (SMTP) mail server address is:
smtp-server.stny.rr.com
The incoming (POP3) mail server address is:
pop-server.stny.rr.com

The incoming port is 110 and the outgoing port is 25 on the PC.

Which is what I entered into the IPad settings. Roadrunner has help info for Apple PCs but nothing for IPhone or IPad.

JD

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, I have TW/Roadrunner in NY as well... but I don't use their SMTP server.
However I did try to access the server names you list and they seem to work fine.

One trick which can help is to use TELNET to talk to an SMTP server. On a PC or Unix/Linux machine, it would work like this:

> telnet smtp-server.roadrunner.com 25
Trying a.b.c.d...
Connected to smtp-server.roadrunner.com 25
220 Welcome Road Runner.
(now you can type in SMTP commands, actually send email, and QUIT to end)

There *is* a free TELNET client for the ipad which works quite well (? Mocha Telnet?)... you can try this to see if your ipad can talk directly to whatever SMTP server you are trying to reach... I may try when I get home (where my ipad is...)

Joa66Dea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, I have TW/Roadrunner in NY as well... but I don't use their SMTP server.
However I did try to access the server names you list and they seem to work fine.

One trick which can help is to use TELNET to talk to an SMTP server. On a PC or Unix/Linux machine, it would work like this:

> telnet smtp-server.roadrunner.com 25
Trying a.b.c.d...
Connected to smtp-server.roadrunner.com 25
220 Welcome Road Runner.
(now you can type in SMTP commands, actually send email, and QUIT to end)

There *is* a free TELNET client for the ipad which works quite well (? Mocha Telnet?)... you can try this to see if your ipad can talk directly to whatever SMTP server you are trying to reach... I may try when I get home (where my ipad is...)

My wife isn't going to go for anything that complicated. She sees the IPad as a click and go device and does not want to fool around with it.

Bill

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went to MAIL setup.

Entered account information, all after tapping POP.

Name, email address, description ("My Roadrunner Mail Account").

Host name for incoming: pop-server.roadrunner.com
User name for incoming: same as email username (string ahead of @)
Password: same as for email

Host name for outgoing: smtp-server.roadrunner.com
Username and password entries were optional, so I left them out.

Did SAVE.

iPad does a "verifying" wait, then returns with "Cannot connect using SSL" No matter what route I take, whether YES or NO, she bombs out.

Any advice is appreciated.

I have seen this issue before. For some reason you have to answer the question twice to get it to work. When it tells you that SSL is not availabe and if you want to connect without it, click yes. It will fail and ask you again. Click yes again.

Also make sure that RR allows SMTP on port 25 (Verizon FIOS is some places does not allow traffic on that port due to spammers).

Marabou Muddler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with roadrunner. Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

I have already contacted Time Warner/Roadrunner for assistance and followed their instructions, which were:

The outgoing (SMTP) mail server address is:
smtp-server.columbus.rr.com
The incoming (POP3) mail server address is:
pop-server.columbus.rr.com

The incoming port is 110 and the outgoing port is 25.

They also said to turn off SSL and list "None" under Authentication. Unfortunately, when I select Authentication, I get 4 options, and "None" is not one of them. Does anyone know how I can turn off Authentication?

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys also be sure you put your username as your entire email address not a nickname and not just the portion before @.... I don't have experience with RoadRunner but with the pop email accounts I've used I've always had to set up the user name portion as the entire email address (also not server address..in that portion)

Hope it helps...

Chapps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I went through the tortures of the damned to make this work - and RoadRunner tech support knew *none* of this:

1. Yes, you must use your regional pop and smtp addresses. Example for Los Angeles: pop-server.socal.rr.com and smtp-server.socal.rr.com. Nothing else will work. If you don't know your regional addresses, just Google 'Roadrunner pop smtp <city or region name>' - lots of sites have this info.

2. Your user name is your full email address, not just what you consider to be your username. You have to have the @roadrunner.com part.

3. When setting up, it will take a while to verify, then ask if it should try without SSL - YES.

4. Yes, you need to add your full user name and password to use SMTP (again, no SSL). And, yes, I'm using a wi-fi enabled iPad, and have no problem sending email on whatever wi-fi network I'm connected to. That's why username and password are important.

I've set this up on my iPad and three others in my household and neighbor's household - and it's worked every time. It also runs counter to all of the 'help' that you get on Roadrunner's site and from their tech support.

Good luck, everyone!

armstroj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipadfanatic - I just wanted to let you know that your advice worked. After trying to connect to my rr email and getting the failure responses - success!!!! Thank you so much.

Most reactions