What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot Save Quicktime Video File Attachment

JPetrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thought I was supposed to get a save option when I tap on the attachment. I only get the options to do a "Quicklook" or to open it in Dropbox. What am I missing here?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You probably don't have an app installed on the iPad that can "read" that file. If nothing on the iPad can read it, nothing will show up in the "Open In..." box.

May I recommend you take a look at OPlayerHD Lite. It's free and it's what I use to look at those type of e-mailed files. Well, actually, I bought/use the paid version, but at least the lite version will let you see if it'll work for you.

Once the app is loaded (or any other app that will play Quicktime files is loaded), then you should see the app show up in the "Open In..." window.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
JPetrick

JPetrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure I was clear. I can open the video / QuickTime file attachment. But I am not given any option to save it even after or while it plays.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry for my confusion...

Well, you can't save it, in the common Windows PC way, on a stock iPad.

All you can do is open the file in another app. That app will save a copy of the video in its own area.

It's a function of Apple's sandboxing of apps. There is no way for an app to access a central file, so Apple has designed the "Open In..." feature.

IOW, you'll never see a "save" or "save as" feature on the iPad. It's the way Apple has designed the iOS for optimal security.

Hope this clarifies it better.

Marilyn

OP
JPetrick

JPetrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem! Thanks for helping.

When I get a photo via email I can open it. While it is open I can then tap on it and get an option to save it. When I do, the photo is saved in Photos. That's what I'm trying to do with videos.

Bill6044

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you saying I need to fill up my iPad with apps (so confusing & possibly expensive) to park video, images, text, mp3, etc. in it's unique app? Then the access to that file his dictated by that app?

Bill6044

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello... Is anyone here?

How can I save an attachment that came in an e-mail?

Bill6044

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Gabriel1.

I agree that holding on the icon for the attahcment should give an option box. As has been mentioned here already, it only shows 'Quick Look'.

Mickey330 above says to use an 'app'. Well, I have a problem with the app store. I know there are many good ones, etc. I have already pruchased 3 and downloaded 4 more free ones. The problem is that when I get Yahoo! advertisements. I haven't seen a search to find apps to do a specific thing, such as 'save an e-mail attachment'.

If I do use an app such as OPlayerHD and it saves the mp3 attachment in its own realm, how can I save it to my music folder in iPad? I guess I could open it in my PC, then import to iTunes on the PC, then sync it to the iPad. ... Kinda complicated, huh? And.... what do I do when I finish my step-by-step transition to all Apple products?

Just trying to learn a new world... And will continue to appreciate help from folks like you.

Thanks.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bill6044 said:
Hi, Gabriel1.

I agree that holding on the icon for the attahcment should give an option box. As has been mentioned here already, it only shows 'Quick Look'.

Mickey330 above says to use an 'app'. Well, I have a problem with the app store. I know there are many good ones, etc. I have already pruchased 3 and downloaded 4 more free ones. The problem is that when I get Yahoo! advertisements. I haven't seen a search to find apps to do a specific thing, such as 'save an e-mail attachment'.

If I do use an app such as OPlayerHD and it saves the mp3 attachment in its own realm, how can I save it to my music folder in iPad? I guess I could open it in my PC, then import to iTunes on the PC, then sync it to the iPad. ... Kinda complicated, huh? And.... what do I do when I finish my step-by-step transition to all Apple products?

Just trying to learn a new world... And will continue to appreciate help from folks like you.

Thanks.

Well the key thing is to have an app installed that can handle your attachment, that app needs to be able to accept files via email, normally the app description will tell you this. Then when you touch and hold you should get the option to open in that app.....without a suitable app you won't get the option.

The Archangel

Bill6044

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok... understood.. but what is a good app? OPlayerHD? Does that save mp3 to my music folder?

free2dive99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Well the key thing is to have an app installed that can handle your attachment, that app needs to be able to accept files via email, normally the app description will tell you this. Then when you touch and hold you should get the option to open in that app.....without a suitable app you won't get the option.

The Archangel

I want to save an mp3 song that I attached to my email but I don't get the option to save it to my IPad 2. Any ideas how I do this. I want to play it with a slideshow.

Most reactions