What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot get mail. The connection to the server failed.

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just started getting the above yesterday. Mail OK with pc. Any thoughts re fix? Thanks to all.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The solution that will help in most cases, is to delete the email account and set it up again.

If this doesn't help, would you please give more information: which email account is the reason for this popup, was the password changed recently, is 2-step-verification enabled?

OP
B

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fixed it. The new Yahoo password had been the problem. I deleted the account and then added it again.

Pattysea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Cannot get Mail - The connection to the server failed. This is happening on my iphone6 and my iPad. My Mac is fine and I have access to my Yahoo emails. This happened after purchasing a new iphone6. I've deleted the account on both devices and then enabled it. iPad shows no emails, iPhone shows previous emails. I am puzzled.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums, Pattysea!

Two more things to try:
If your devices are not up to date, update the software. The latest version is iOS 8.4. It's possible that an older version can produce this error.

Also make sure you've entered the right password. Sounds weird, but: enter the wrong password in Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendar - your Yahoo account, then change back to the right password once more, let your iDevice verify the settings.

Did you set up the account manually, or did you use the Yahoo! option in Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Add Account to set it up?

Pattysea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums, Pattysea!

Two more things to try:
If your devices are not up to date, update the software. The latest version is iOS 8.4. It's possible that an older version can produce this error.

Also make sure you've entered the right password. Sounds weird, but: enter the wrong password in Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendar - your Yahoo account, then change back to the right password once more, let your iDevice verify the settings.

Did you set up the account manually, or did you use the Yahoo! option in Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Add Account to set it up?

I've gone back to my mac, iPhone, iPad and deleted the yahoo account, went back to square one in setting up the account to make sure all info was correct. Then I rebooted each device.

This is strange. I can access my yahoo mail directly from yahoo.com but cannot from the mail icon at the bottom of my iPad or iPhone screen. I've have gone into my settings, deleted, and setup the yahoo account but continue to get the same message - cannot get mail - the connection to the server failed. I checked each device to make sure the operating system is current.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which way did you set up the account?

Did you use Yahoo! to set up the account, or was it Other?
image.png

Most reactions

Latest posts