What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot connect Ipad 2 to home network if security is on my router.

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Zyxcel Router on a home network to which is connected a Netbook and an old laptop
The router is a ZyXEL Pretige 600 Series Model Number P- 660NW-T1
I had password security on the router.
The only way I can connect my Ipad 2 to the home network is if I take the security off the router.
Had anyone else had this problem and can anyone recommend what steps I can take to remedy the problem?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What do you mean by password security on the router? Routers typically have login passwords and passwords associated either wireless protection. I don't think you need more than that and iPad only needs the wifi password. I can't image your router is any different and if it is, I'd dump it for another as sjleworthy suggested. But I would first suggest you taking a better look at your current router.

OP
K

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Steve.
The router was sold to me and installed by and set up by a local computer firm who sold me a laptop at the same time some years ago.
Somebody commented recently that it wasn't the usual type of router for home use.
I have no difficulty connecting my Ipad to our daughter 's router but her Ipad also does not connect to my network if I have security enabled.
Can you recommend a router to me please as I am quite willing to go down the road of acquiring a new router as the existing router must be 4 or 5 years old and I just need something very user friendly.
Hi AQ_OC - With regard to my reference to password in my question I don't have a lot of knowledge about technology.
The person who set it up enabled security on the router which I know how to disable.When security is enabled and I put the wifi password in when prompted by the Ipad I can't connect.
He left me with a password to the Router and I know enough to go into the router and alter the security settings.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you ever gotten any computer other than the two mentioned to connect? There is a feature that refuses a connection to any device not specifically listed as allowed, and your consultant may have made the entries for your two laptops. It may be as simple as adding a new listing for your iPad. With my router, it's easiest to disable that exclusion feature so the unit sees the iPad, then choose the iPad as an approved device, then re-enable security.

Still, a new router will have the latest protocols and probably be twice as fast. I recently replaced my old router for that reason. It's a Netgear, and it also makes our old non-wifi printers think they're AirPrint-capable, as long as the computers they're connected to are awake. 5 years is a decent run for a router anyway--nothing lasts forever, so I too recommend spending $50 on a new one.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My dad recent bought a belkin router that I set up for him. One like this

Amazon.com: Belkin N600 Wireless Dual-Band N+ Router (Latest Generation): Electronics

What I like about this one is that it comes with preset security already set up. There is a printed card on the bottom of the unit with the routers SSID and the wifi password (these are unique for each separate router). This will get you set up quickly and if you want to, you can go in and change both the SsID and the wifi passcode, if and when you want to. A lot of routers are sold with both of these not set or set to a default SSID and no passcode, thus anyone can login and take over your router and wifi! Most of the SSIDs and default login are all over the Internet.

OP
K

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommends to the various brands.
I will take a look at each one.

With regard to what is connected to my Network there are 3 devices as well as the Ipad.
The computer man who sold me the Zxycel sold me an HP laptop (Vista ) and at that time I had an old HP laptop (XP) he set up the 2 laptops to connect to the wireless network - I kept the old XP laptop for emergency use.I didn'thave wifi before that.
I bought a Netbook a couple of years ago and installed it myself and connected it to the network.
The Vista laptop is still here but the monitor failed but it is still here and technically is still connected to the Network.

Reaction score
I have an ASUS RT-N56U which works great with three iPads, one iPhone, one Android phone, three Windows laptops, and all the various other stuff you might have (printer, NAS, Vonage, etc.).

Definitely worth a look.

OP
K

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi to All,
I rang my daughter and asked which router they had as my Ipad works fine at their house ( they have security enabled ) and she told me they had recently changed their provider to British Telecom who provided a new BT Router ( a Hub ) as part of the Broadband Package so they no longer need the Belkin and will bring it up over the weekend to see if that solves the problem.
The Belkin model is N + F5D8635 - 4 v1
Anyone know whether this Router had a good track record?

OP
K

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all for recommending that I should change the router.
Our daughter brought their Belkin up at weekend as they now have a BT hub and we have set up the Belkin and it is fine.
It also has a much better range than the previous router.
Thanks to all.
Keith

Most reactions

Latest posts