What's new
Apple iPad Forum šŸŽ

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you turn off an iPad Pro smart keyboard when using the on-screen keyboard?

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just upgraded to a 12.9ā€ iPad Pro and Apple smart keyboard. Really nice piece of equipment. The speed and display are impressive. At times, I prefer to bring up the on-screen keyboard and just use the smart keyboard as a stand in my lap. Is there any way to turn off the smart keyboard so that my wrists donā€™t help me type?

Larry Cruzen

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just fold the keyboard back to the reverse side of the iPad and the on-screen keyboard will appear and the smart keyboard ijnput will be turned off. Or did I not understand the issue? Holding the iPad flat on your lap is more convenient for using the on-screen keyboard, at least to me. Do you really want to use it with the keyboard as a stand?

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just fold the keyboard back to the reverse side of the iPad and the on-screen keyboard will appear and the smart keyboard ijnput will be turned off. Or did I not understand the issue? Holding the iPad flat on your lap is more convenient for using the on-screen keyboard, at least to me. Do you really want to use it with the keyboard as a stand?
I like the screen angle when the smart keyboard is used as a stand on my lap. The broad base also makes it very stable. If I fold the keyboard back, the narrow base is very unstable. I thought maybe there was a way to turn the keyboard off when the on screen keyboard is brought up. If not, its not big deal.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
`Nope. At least not one that I can see.

Some third pary smart connector keybords have a dedicated keyboard key. I have the Logitech iPad Pro Keyboard Case; Slim Combo. I can pop up the touch keyboard using it.

D7D6A804-F696-48EC-B149-234C580AD06C.jpeg

Iā€™ve never used it in my lap, but it turns out it works ā€˜okā€™ there. The back tilt/support is wide enough to sit on both legs, provided I keep them together. My legs are not long enough to tilt the screen very far back, but the usable angle is at least as good as what you can get with Appleā€™s Smark Keyboard.

The case is significantly heavier than Appleā€™s Smart Keyboard; which I also have.

I got the Logitech on a whim. It was on sale at Staples. Neither keyboard is perfect (for me). Iā€™m still evaluating the pros and cons.

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
`Nope. At least not one that I can see.

Some third pary smart connector keybords have a dedicated keyboard key. I have the Logitech iPad Pro Keyboard Case; Slim Combo. I can pop up the touch keyboard using it.

View attachment 81554

Iā€™ve never used it in my lap, but it turns out it works ā€˜okā€™ there. The back tilt/support is wide enough to sit on both legs, provided I keep them together. My legs are not long enough to tilt the screen very far back, but the usable angle is at least as good as what you can get with Appleā€™s Smark Keyboard.

The case is significantly heavier than Appleā€™s Smart Keyboard; which I also have.

I got the Logitech on a whim. It was on sale at Staples. Neither keyboard is perfect (for me). Iā€™m still evaluating the pros and cons.
Ahhh....Twerppoet...my favorite helper on iPad Forum. I bring up the on-screen keyboard by holding the down arrow in the right hand corner of the screen. A that point, both keyboards are active. Bothered me for a while, but Iā€™m used to it now. In fact, I have gotten to the point the I can use the smart keyboard quite well in my lap while relaxed in my reclliner.

I like the smart keyboard, but it certainly doesnā€™t protect the iPad as a case. If it ever falls on its corner on the tile floor all will be lost. Going to have to buy a real case for it.

Larrycruzen

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhh....Twerppoet...my favorite helper on iPad Forum. I bring up the on-screen keyboard by holding the down arrow in the right hand corner of the screen. A that point, both keyboards are active. Bothered me for a while, but Iā€™m used to it now. In fact, I have gotten to the point the I can use the smart keyboard quite well in my lap while relaxed in my reclliner.

I like the smart keyboard, but it certainly doesnā€™t protect the iPad as a case. If it ever falls on its corner on the tile floor all will be lost. Going to have to buy a real case for it.

Larrycruzen
Apple and several third party vendors make iPad Pro cases that are compatible with the Smart Keyboard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Larrycruzen

Good find. Iā€™ve used the little arrow to hide the keyboard bar when itā€™s in the way, but it never occured to me to long press; and it should have. There are a lot of hidden features behind the long press.

Most reactions

Latest posts