What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can You Setup/Configure/Troubleshoot a Wireless Modem/Router from an iPad?

indyindyindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I don't own an iPad yet, otherwise I'd try to figure this out for myself. I was wondering to what extent you can configure a wireless modem/router from an iPad (without the aid of an actual computer). In my particular case, I already set up a wireless modem using my laptop. But let's say I was using an iPad exclusively. Could I configure/troubleshoot the modem using just the iPad? I know some configurations are accessed through just a web browser, and I wasn't sure if the iPad Safari would support that. And what if somebody was setting up a modem from scratch? Would they be able to do everything from the iPad? Is there an app?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely! As long as your iPad is on your network, you can access your wireless router by entering it's IP Address in any browser.

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely! As long as your iPad is on your network, you can access your wireless router by entering it's IP Address in any browser.

Exactly...usually something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

I have an icon on my iPad desktop saving this so I can easily hit my router to make changes or reset, etc...

OP
I

indyindyindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright, cool. But just for clarification, would one be able to initiate a new modem using just an iPad? In other words, can you typically setup and initiate a wireless router using only the web browser? 'Cause I remember that when I set up my current router, I needed to perform a disk installation.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With both of my routers, a D-Link and a Linksys, there is no need for any additional software to get to the configuration utility. The software provided is usually some sort of "wizard" that will step you through the setup process, but if you know what you are doing, there is no need for it at all. As GiPad said, there is a default IP address for each router that allows you to access the internal web-based configuration utility.

OP
I

indyindyindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just realized I had one more question. Looking ahead to when the iPad will be able to print, I was wondering if you can setup a wireless printer using only the iPad (i.e., can wireless printers be set up using the IP address in an internet browser?). Thanks again

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Set up a wireless printer, or manage a wireless printer?

Anil_Trinidad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
indy - did you get around to trying to tinker with your wireless router with the 'Pad? I've got my Linksys router set up for MAC filtering. The other night I was on my Pad and my bro wanted to put his new BB Torch on the network. I could access the router fine from the Pad, but for some reason - the router wouldn't save the new MAC address I put in. I had to add the address from a PC.

Regarding printing, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to connect to a printer on your network. Maybe the new iOS in November will have a printing utility that would allow you to do that. I've got a printer connected to my router (via ethernet) and it works fine with the PC's at home.

wansbrough

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just been googling this question and thought I would enquire more here as you seem to know the answer.
My brother and I recently purchased an iPad for our mum. She can see next doors Netgear WiFi but unfortunately they do not know the the security number to give mum access. This has been proving hard work so we were wondering if there is a way of creating a new network/broadband account using an old wireless router we have that is spare?
Mum doesn't have a PC so we cannot set one up that way. Is there anyway that the router could be set up using the iPad itself?
Currently there is no other means of setting up or configuring this unless the iPad can do it.

Anil_Trinidad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there anyway that the router could be set up using the iPad itself?

wansbrough My initial reply would be No - you can't set up a router with an iPad as it does not have ethernet connectivity. Maybe other Apple gurus on here have other ideas. Typically - you would need to plug into the router via ethernet to set it up.

Although, I think there used to be (and maybe still have available) wireless routers that you just plug into your internet source - in your case that would be the router next door - and it would broadcast a signal without any set up. However, this is not secure. If I recall correctly - I used one like that before - I think it was a Belkin brand. All I did was plug in the ethernet cable coming out of my modem - and that was it!

I hope that helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts