What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we expect iPad3 in Jan 2012?

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think April Fools Day is an appropriate estimate.

People who already have/own a iPad will always feel with Apple coming out with upgraded versions, it is making a fool of the money that they have invested in the older devices. So can expect such a reaction lol :)

Temp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you guys really think the iPad 3 will be released in the 1st quarter of 2012? I would think Summer at the earliest!

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is my understanding that screen size needs to be scalable so all the existing apps work. If you start changing to say a 7 inch screen the whole infrastructure has to be changed. That's not going to happen. SJ said 7" is too small ... I agree personally. A lot of careful work when into chosing the 9.7 screen size. I still couldn't comfortably put a Kindle Fire in my pocket. Wouldn't want one anyway ... nor a Nook, nor any of the other brands that aren't selling well.

Mksanva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Up until now all iPad launches have been March or April and if we look at the latest iPhone launch it was in September. So now the iPhone will pretty much always launch in September, much better for holiday sales and the iPad being in March/April kind of hurts it holiday sales k so my best guess is the iPad 3 will launch in June.
It will have the same form factor as the iPad 2, maybe a bit thicker and will have the A6 processor, Retina display and of course Siri.

Supio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Bleddy well hope they bring Ipad 3 out, especially now that the Kindle Fire is about to Launch as well. At whatsaccuring.com the are saying this might be the first tablet to give the Ipad real competition and a uphill battle to stay on top. It does look promising, but we will wait and see.Tablets - Whatsaccuring.com

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doubtful, in fact I think we'd be expecting the iPad 2S in march and the iPad 3 some other time. There are rumors of the so called "iPad 3" at CES, Visually it's the same build as the 2 but slightly thicker, but the interior components are said to be different. So sadly, I'm expecting the release this march to be something similar to the iPhone 4s when everyone was expecting the iPhone 5. So disappointing...

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:
Doubtful, in fact I think we'd be expecting the iPad 2S in march and the iPad 3 some other time. There are rumors of the so called "iPad 3" at CES, Visually it's the same build as the 2 but slightly thicker, but the interior components are said to be different. So sadly, I'm expecting the release this march to be something similar to the iPhone 4s when everyone was expecting the iPhone 5. So disappointing...

You're probably right.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At CES 2012, all the experts interviewed agreed that the new iPad will be released this quarter. While Apple loves to be secretive, they almost always meet their annual cycles. The iPhone 4S exception may have been the result of the tsunami hitting Japan and forcing some hard decisions on Apple. I would say the only question is whether or not they introduce it on Steve Job's birthday.

What the concensus is at CES, is that there will be a 'retina display' and camera like the 4S has. It will be 1 mm thicker, which is driving some people crazy in that Apple rarely makes anything thicker if they can help it. There is some speculation that the lack of major features will cause it to be named the iPad 2S or iPad 2HD. It is also expected that the original iPad 2 will be offered at $399. There is strong logic behind this move and would be a way to introduce more buyers to the iPad. It would attract bargain hunters, but when they see the benefits of the newer models, many would decide to upgrade. The iPad and iPad2 have gained most of the adopters that are willing to spend $500+ on an iPad. Now they have to attract the bargain hunters to make further inroads. With their costs, they could sell them for $299 and still make money, so it is not going to hurt them. The only negative is if people do not buy a new iPad model because they are happly with the old model. That is marketing at work.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At CES 2012, all the experts interviewed agreed that the new iPad will be released this quarter. While Apple loves to be secretive, they almost always meet their annual cycles. The iPhone 4S exception may have been the result of the tsunami hitting Japan and forcing some hard decisions on Apple. I would say the only question is whether or not they introduce it on Steve Job's birthday.

What the concensus is at CES, is that there will be a 'retina display' and camera like the 4S has. It will be 1 mm thicker, which is driving some people crazy in that Apple rarely makes anything thicker if they can help it. There is some speculation that the lack of major features will cause it to be named the iPad 2S or iPad 2HD. It is also expected that the original iPad 2 will be offered at $399. There is strong logic behind this move and would be a way to introduce more buyers to the iPad. It would attract bargain hunters, but when they see the benefits of the newer models, many would decide to upgrade. The iPad and iPad2 have gained most of the adopters that are willing to spend $500+ on an iPad. Now they have to attract the bargain hunters to make further inroads. With their costs, they could sell them for $299 and still make money, so it is not going to hurt them. The only negative is if people do not buy a new iPad model because they are happly with the old model. That is marketing at work.

@Seadog you sound like this Forum's Reporter reporting from CES event in Vegas :) are you right now in Vegas ?

I hope even with the iPad-3 they dont make a fool of people as they did in the iPhone-5 which was a iPhone 4s. I hope they dont come out with a iPad-2S when people are all over talking about iPad-3 !!

Apparently Sharp is reported out of the Display Panel Providing Race for Apple (Thank God I am so happy) I always thought Apple should stick to IPS technology then the IGZO though no one has yet seen it how does it look but the current display with the iPad-2 is right now is even so good that any experiments with that sounds so dicy !! More Pixel with the IPS Backlit Display would be like an icing on the cake !

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/12/sharp-out-as-ipad-3-display-supplier

Most reactions

Latest posts