What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the iPad replace the desktop or laptop?

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think cloud - not thick client! My thoughts: The elegance of the iPad will not be in it's ability to multi-task or handle great amounts of data. With the ability to have flash memory like the iPod Touch - one can move in and out of applications fast enough. Keeping the onboard memory low will reduce heat and battery drain.

The elegance of this tool will be to act as an extension of ones laptop / desktop. When I go see a client I'll have outlines available to view - perhaps edit with iWork. My project management software will be online (Shared Project Pro). I'll use Remember the Milk for task management - iNotebook for general outlining, etc. I'll keep a bluetooth wireless keyboard in my case iffen I need to enter significant data. I'll also be able to keep in touch with mail and have access to updated podcasts, XM radio, etc. I'll be able to move between wifi and 3G connectivity - kind of an always on scenario.

The elegance of the iPad will be to free me from my desk and laptop - allowing me to check in / be in contact from the garage, back yard, boat - wherever.

At least that's how I envision it. I spent a good fifteen years of my career as a technology consultant working with mobile devices - Newton, Palm, Tablet PC revolution : and I always saw dissatisfaction coming from the users when they tried to make a mobile device do more than it was supposed to. I remember a Dell Tablet PC that weighed almost 9lbs - they had this beautiful glossy wide-screen, on-board cd/dvd drive, all kinds of ports and bells and whistles - and I remember the sad look on the sales reps face when I said - no thanks - we're looking for a mobile tablet PC - people will never tote this monster around.

I think the iPad will find it's niche - and I think Apple will correct what needs to be corrected.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we're looking for a mobile tablet PC - people will never tote this monster around.

I think the iPad will find it's niche - and I think Apple will correct what needs to be corrected.

You clearly resume the iPad usage and possibilities .... no need to say more :D

hendjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the thorough and helpful responses in this thread. As an Apple nube couldn't agree mor that Ipad shoulnt be expected to replace a full computer. Having a desktop, laptop and mobile phone with wifi and 3G (Droid) I still see a gap (or market) for another mobile device like the Ipad. The explanations of the quasi-multitasking that the Ipad should do are very helpful. It sounds though that it will not out of the box be able to play Pandora audio at the same time as displaying an ebook for reading purposes. Correct? Is there a current known app that will enable this or likely wait for Ipad v.2 for this tasking to be enabled?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the thorough and helpful responses in this thread. As an Apple nube couldn't agree mor that Ipad shoulnt be expected to replace a full computer. Having a desktop, laptop and mobile phone with wifi and 3G (Droid) I still see a gap (or market) for another mobile device like the Ipad. The explanations of the quasi-multitasking that the Ipad should do are very helpful. It sounds though that it will not out of the box be able to play Pandora audio at the same time as displaying an ebook for reading purposes. Correct? Is there a current known app that will enable this or likely wait for Ipad v.2 for this tasking to be enabled?

You can get an iPad now and once the OS allows for audio multitasking you will be able to do it....has nothing to do with the hardware.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think of it this way, all of Apples iDevices (pod/pads/phones) will use some version of the iPhoneOS or iPhone Operating System. Just like Windows or Mac OSX, new updates to the OS can be added to existing devices... provided thier hardware is supported.

I don't see any logical reason why Apple would not allow a first gen iPad to update to the iPhoneOS 4 if and when it comes out. I could see them being jerks and charging a small fee for the software update the same way they do with Mac OSX between major versions. But not simply locking out early adopters all together after the first year. After 3 years possibly, after 5 years for sure they would stop supporting the 1st gen ipads with the latest software updates.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think of it this way, all of Apples iDevices (pod/pads/phones) will use some version of the iPhoneOS or iPhone Operating System. Just like Windows or Mac OSX, new updates to the OS can be added to existing devices... provided thier hardware is supported.

I don't see any logical reason why Apple would not allow a first gen iPad to update to the iPhoneOS 4 if and when it comes out. I could see them being jerks and charging a small fee for the software update the same way they do with Mac OSX between major versions. But not simply locking out early adopters all together after the first year. After 3 years possibly, after 5 years for sure they would stop supporting the 1st gen ipads with the latest software updates.

Well iPad and iPhone don't use the same OS...they are similar, but only at its core. So basic updates will trickle down to it...but major releases will either be released in tandem or separately. Apple charges for major releases on iPod Touch, but not on the iPhone...the iPad is about 2x as much as the iPod Touch..so we might get free updates...but I wouldn't count on it....tho the first update if it is quickly will more likely be free.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the issue of charging for OS upgrades for the iPad, we'll have to wait and see... However... The iPhone gets "free" upgrades. The iPod Touch requires payment. This is NOT purely a choice on Apple's part. It's an issue of how revenue is recorded for the devices and laws surrounding the issue of adding additional functionality to these devices. The iPhone is monetized over time due to the required service plan. The iPod Touch is sold outright. There is a difference in the way the IRS looks at these things and what laws and FTC rules apply due to the difference. This is a little bit of an over-simplification, but I think it accurately reflects the situation.

Given this, I think it's fair to say that we will probably have to pay for Major OS upgrades (as is the case with OS X, by the way) but will not have to pay for point releases.

I don't have a problem with this. I'm buying the device in the form it's in. If I want the additional functionality, I'll pay for the upgrades. If not... well... no one is holding a gun to my head (or wallet).

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the issue of charging for OS upgrades for the iPad, we'll have to wait and see... However... The iPhone gets "free" upgrades. The iPod Touch requires payment. This is NOT purely a choice on Apple's part. It's an issue of how revenue is recorded for the devices and laws surrounding the issue of adding additional functionality to these devices. The iPhone is monetized over time due to the required service plan. The iPod Touch is sold outright. There is a difference in the way the IRS looks at these things and what laws and FTC rules apply due to the difference. This is a little bit of an over-simplification, but I think it accurately reflects the situation.

Given this, I think it's fair to say that we will probably have to pay for Major OS upgrades (as is the case with OS X, by the way) but will not have to pay for point releases.

I don't have a problem with this. I'm buying the device in the form it's in. If I want the additional functionality, I'll pay for the upgrades. If not... well... no one is holding a gun to my head (or wallet).

iPod Touch major updates are only $10...so I'm not too concerned...the last major OSX update was only $30....they aren't in the business of screwing people on upgrade..it's not windows.

richjh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 1st gen iPad chokes when I try to manipulate my 1,200 person Ancestry page. On my 12.9 inch iPad Pro it comes pretty close to my 15 inch 2.8 Ghz 2015 MacBook Pro. Many times I have them side by side at my table.

When the battery runs low on my MacBook Pro I switch to my iPad Pro. In my opinion the only negative is having to buy the USB-C cable and charger. Without question this option should have been given to buyers. When I run my iPad battery down to below 10% it takes forever to charge. On the power adapter that ships with the unit.
Rich

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whether a talet (ipad or other) can replace a desktop is all dependent one what one does with a desktop. For some the answer could be yes, but clearly the desktop can be more efficient for certain tasks and uniquely qualified for others.

The question I find myself asking more and more, however, is whether the laptop can replace my tablet. When I consider my mobile needs, I continue to find greater numbers of apps that I use on tablets that are not available on pc/mac. I find it interesting that, for the things I want to do, the tablet is actually a step UP from a desktop or laptop in terms of performance and efficiency.

Most reactions

Latest posts