What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can RDP be used just like Remote Desktop connection, also question regard dictation

Quadzilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm considering buying a Apple iPad to replace my Dell laptop and my Barnes & Noble nook color. I mostly use the laptop for connecting to my Dell desktop PC (running Windows 7) using Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection. When I'm connected to the PC, I mostly just check e-mail using the eM Mail client and Mozilla Firefox to surf the web, i.e. browsing through Facebook and sometimes searching/buying from eBay, Amazon etc. I'm disabled with the use of only one hand and that's very limited so I very often use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to control many of the applications I'm using as well as for dictating. Can I do all these things with the iPad? I've read a little bit about RDP, can it be used to do the same things I was using remote desktop connection for? What are its strengths/weaknesses? Are there any better alternatives?

Also, I understand the iPad has dictation capabilities, can the user also control apps on the iPad using voice control? Regarding e-books, can I transfer the e-books purchased from Barnes & Noble which are stored on my nook over to the iPad to read them?

Thanks in advance for your answers and any other info you can provide!

Dan

Sviatapolk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are lots of remote desktop apps. I personally think splashtop is the best for use with the iPad. It makes right clicking and other functions far easier than rdp and vnc. But I find remote PC management to be on the whole a pain on the iPad. It's the lack of a mouse. But or simple stuff it works well enough.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are lots of remote desktop apps. I personally think splashtop is the best for use with the iPad. It makes right clicking and other functions far easier than rdp and vnc. But I find remote PC management to be on the whole a pain on the iPad. It's the lack of a mouse. But or simple stuff it works well enough.

Problem with Splashtop is you have to be on the same connection, meaning you could just as easily just be on the computer itself lol

thatdood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried just about all RDP clients and Pocketcloud Pro is my favorite. Supports RDP, VNC, and VMWare View

Todd M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem with Splashtop is you have to be on the same connection, meaning you could just as easily just be on the computer itself lol

That is an incorrect assessment. Not much of a remote app if you had to be on the same network.

I regularly remote to my home PC from work with Splashtop. I also remote to relatives PCs out of state using this app. I used my Google account to 'register' the devices, and in the Splashtop app you put the same email there and it sees them after the devices have installed the Splashtop client. Very easy to work with.

Most reactions

Latest posts