What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can somebody please exlplain to a noob in simple terms.....

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is MiFi and Hotspots?

I've googled it but it still confuses me. Im new to apple products.

Thanks.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MiFi is a kind of 3G to WiFi converter. You pay for a 3G plan and can link several devices to it by WiFi, like you would to a wireless router.

Hotspot generally referces to a source for WiFi Internet (one not in your home). Starbucks has WiFi hotspots, so does McDonlads I think. Various stores and chains do.

WiFi is the common name now given to wireless communction that uses the 802.11b/g/n standards. You can find a wikiapdeaia page about WiFi and 802.11.

In short a MiFi will take your 3G connection and make a WiFi hotspot so you can connect laptops and iPads to it and get internet that way.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great summary Dorge

Youngun - this all has nothing to do with Apple. It has to do with wireless connectivity no matter who makes your equipment. Works with your Windows lap top as well. A number of venders (Verizon and Sprint for two but there are more) sell portable wifi hot spots. If you have an iPhone you can use that as a wifi hotspot as well.

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are all basically the same thing from the iPad (or laptop) user's point of view. They are all Wi Fi connections, the difference being how they connect to the data.

I'm glad places that offered paid hotspots are finally having to cave and offer them for free now that so many places are offering free Wi Fi. Heck, it doesn't cost much of anything to offer Wi Fi, so its silly to try and make people pay for it.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... It costs them them the network connection and any security they choose to implement.

Personally if I was running a small business I'd setup my WiFi like some fast food places put combo locks on their bathrooms. Have a rotating daily password that gets printed on the receipts. Granted I could not stop people from passing the days code around but hey I'd want to make sure at least some of them are customers. :p

What would be cool is if with NFC it could be setup so you wave your wireless device near the registration box during the transaction and it pulls your physical MAC (not a computer) address and gives you the WPA password as well. Add to that the digital bill pay and I think everyone, save wireless security focused people, are happy.

OP
youngun

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

So a hotsport is just a wifi source? how can a phone be used a hotspot?

Reaction score
Certain phones have embedded apps that allow incoming 3g to become outgoing wifi,iow a myfi . There are also apps that can be gotten if your wifi capable phone doesn't already have it on board.
You might also see it referred to as "wireless tether ", especially when in threads about rooting Android phones and jail breaking iPhones

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wireless tether also called WiFi tether.

Most reactions