What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can my ipad2 3g act as a wifi router?

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm currently subscribed to an unlimited broadband plan with a local network. is it possible for the ipad2 3g to act as a wifi router, similar to a galaxy tab? how can i do that? thanks.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only if your iPad is jail broken. An non-JB iPad is unable to do this (although an iPhone can).

Tim

OP
88raymond

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the info. my unit is JB. Is there an app that i need to get, for it to work?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a JB guy myself and I have a tendency to make a fool of myself when answering questions on JB issues, but I think there's an app in the Cydia Store called MyWi that will give you this functionality.

Tim

OP
88raymond

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nice! it's MyWi 4.0 for me, then.

thanks, tim!

biller007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure our cell plan won't charge you extra money for tethering.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - good advice - you'll have seen that several carriers are imposing mandatory tethering charges and - yes - they can tell if you're tethering!!

Tim

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Yes - good advice - you'll have seen that several carriers are imposing mandatory tethering charges and - yes - they can tell if you're tethering!!

Tim

On the last part... I really believe the only way that the tethering action can be detected is by the ID that the browser which is being used on the computer, or device used to connect to the "router/access device," is issuing. Each browser does identify itsself. If one uses a computer with Internet Explorer, that ID is sent each time a webpage is fetched.

On my tethering setup, I'm using the iPad connected to the iPhone. On the iPad, I'm using iCab Mobile for the browser. That browser has the capability of changing its ID to be something else. In my case I have the ID set to be Safari Mobile browser. To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't look at all like I'm doing anything but accessing the Internet through my iPhone's browser.

I could be wrong about this. I do have the additional safety margin by the fact that I had (in the beginning) signed up for Verizon's paid tethering plan of an additional 2 Gb for $20.00. I also have MiWi and can tether out of the unlimited data pool for more data if needed in the month.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

On the last part... I really believe the only way that the tethering action can be detected is by the ID that the browser which is being used on the computer, or device used to connect to the "router/access device," is issuing. Each browser does identify itsself. If one uses a computer with Internet Explorer, that ID is sent each time a webpage is fetched.

On my tethering setup, I'm using the iPad connected to the iPhone. On the iPad, I'm using iCab Mobile for the browser. That browser has the capability of changing its ID to be something else. In my case I have the ID set to be Safari Mobile browser. To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't look at all like I'm doing anything but accessing the Internet through my iPhone's browser.

I could be wrong about this. I do have the additional safety margin by the fact that I had (in the beginning) signed up for Verizon's paid tethering plan of an additional 2 Gb for $20.00. I also have MiWi and can tether out of the unlimited data pool for more data if needed in the month.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Actually, the problem is that tethering, when done properly and officially, uses a tethering specific APN. MyWi uses exactly the same APN for it's business. It does not try to do anything special with the data. Therefore, if you tether using MyWi AND, as AT&T do, your carrier checks your use of the tethering APN against your right to use it, they can easily see that you are being naughty. Hence MyWi users getting nasty emails from AT&T.

PDANet uses the same system too, but ALSO includes the option to use an alternative which hides the tethering traffic over the usual 3G APN which the device should use for itself. Therefore, the carrier would need to be making an assessment of your actual traffic. That is far more problematic, error prone, and challenging for the carrier to do.

I can assure you that the "troubles" up to this point have been nothing to do with browser agents etc. There is no rule which says iDevice web traffic must have a Safari Mobile browser agent set. There are legitimate apps in the app store which allow you to change it, so even folks who do not tether would get in trouble...

Hope that clarifies.

Most reactions

Latest posts