What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i update to IOS5 from 4.3.1 jailbroken ipad?

kamenrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad 1 is jailbroken. I havent used any jailbroken facilities whatever and am happy to be "unjailbroken". I want to update to the IOS5. Can I just simply plug it into itunes and let it update or does the update process detect that my ipad is jailbroken and will fail resulting in me having to do something before performing the update?

thanks

EDIT :

I think I will try the suggestion here http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/48814-jail-broken-device-ios-5-a.html#post334945

Last edited:
OP
K

kamenrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that was easy for me to answer! :D

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Marilyn
It failed
So i got the ipad into dfu mode with it connected to PC and itunes running
Itunes detected the dfu mode and displayed this message
01oct151710.jpg

I then clicked Restore and followed the prompts and got an "unknown error has occured 3194"

Is there anyway to unjailbreak my ipad or am i doing something wrong?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm. It may be that iTunes doesn't have iOS 5 ready to go for you to install that version of firmware.

So, try this: Get the iOS 5 firmware for your iPad from here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html. Remember where you saved it (it'll be labeled as an IPSW file)...

Then, put your iPad back into DFU mode (with it attached to your computer AND iTunes closed). When iTunes re-opens (cause you've been successful in putting the iPad into DFU mode), accept the prompt to restore your iPad.

However, this time, hold the shift key and then click the Restore button. You'll be presented with a browse window for you to select that IPSW file you've saved. Select the file and then let iTunes finish.

That ought to take care of it. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
K

kamenrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, f4780y. I shoulda remembered that part, dang it! :D

Glad you got it sorted, though, kamenrider.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts