What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I take my Ipad camping and use it as a laptop?

afzimm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newbie here. I have 2 desktop pcs and a pc laptop. I also have a Ipod I think it's a 16g. Can I receive wireless signals on the new Ipad 2 and access the internet for business while out of the office (like camping?) Also what size Ipad 2 should I buy? I have an android HTC so I dont think I will need the 3G Ipad. Plan to buy this week, are there any good discount Ipad sites or deals out there? Thanks in advance! afzimm

Reaction score
There are no discounts available, probably never will be, before iPad 3 gets released.

To get inet on your iPad, you will have to root your droid and tether the 3G connection to the iPad. Or buy a Mifi, which essentially does the same.

RichardScarry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, more or less, for the first question. I always think of the iPad as a laptop lite. Great for holding videos, music, and of course apps for entertainment. If you have wifi it's also a great email/Internet surfer.

Since the iPad 2 came out you can get a decent deal on the original iPad at retail stores (100$ off). The sizes are the same as the iPod touch, so depending on how heavy of a user you are, the original iPad may be enough. Even though the iPad 2 is faster, the original is still quick and has a great display.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just buy an iPad, new or used, with 3G and you should be able to connect from almost anywhere.

OP
afzimm

afzimm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does the 16gb 32 gb and 64 gb refer to data storage size? I will probably use 10 or 12 apps and use it for e-mail primarily oh and surfing the internet for parts and tools for my machine shop at alzwelding.com

Reaction score
There are no discounts available, probably never will be, before iPad 3 gets released.

To get inet on your iPad, you will have to root your droid and tether the 3G connection to the iPad. Or buy a Mifi, which essentially does the same.

No need to root or mifi. Use the phone as a hot spot.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

clesen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mainly use mine for movies and music and occasionally email. I recommend the Ipad2, since I found the original Ipad to be insufficient.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does the 16gb 32 gb and 64 gb refer to data storage size? I will probably use 10 or 12 apps and use it for e-mail primarily oh and surfing the internet for parts and tools for my machine shop at alzwelding.com

Yes, the 16, 32 or 64 GB refers to the size of the flash storage on the iPad - a bit like the hard disc on a regular PC. A little of that space is used by the iPad's operating system, iOS, but the rest is available for storing apps, movies, photos and music for example.

Tim
Scotland

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
afzimm said:
are there any good discount Ipad sites or deals out there? Thanks in advance! afzimm

Apple had been selling refurb original ipad units in the online store at a minor discount

Isn't camping where you leave technology behind and get back to nature

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
kc2ped said:
Isn't camping where you leave technology behind and get back to nature

no, it's sleeping in front of an Apple Store and try to get the latest technology ;)

VicoPad addict!

OP
afzimm

afzimm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup camping is back to nature. I will only check it once a day for e-mail. (I like to respond to customer orders, questions etc as soon as possible, not 2 or 3 days later)
If it weren't an Ipad I would be lugging a laptop along camping. You make a good point though, Thanks! :eek:

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
afzimm said:
I will probably use 10 or 12 apps

We'll check back in with you in a couple of months after you've had your iPad to see how many additional pages to your home screen you'll have.
:)

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

bobmielke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
bobmielke.smugmug.com
I'm planning on taking my 16 gig iPad with me on a 9 day camping/hiking tour of the canyons of the west. I'll be traveling by bus with only random stops at places with power to recharge the iPad. I sold a netbook and a nice Toshiba 15" laptop after discovering how versatile the iPad is. I have my music and photographs stored online as well as all my Kindle books. Who needs a hard drive? When near a wi-fi connection I have free continental phone calls with the Whistle app. http://www.greentortoise.com/adventures/canyon.west.grand.zion.html

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screw that I am not camping wthout my ipad and phone LMAO, as stated before just use your phone as a hotspot, might have to add that plan but in the long run would be cheaper then buying 3g model or mifi.

Most reactions

Latest posts