What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I somehow widen/elongate my movie-viewing screen?

kwitel

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I ripped a movie and am watching it on my IPAD but the screen is much to narrow (from top to bottom).
I've tried the little "widen" button on the top left corner (when in landscape mode) but it magnifies the screen too much.

Do I have any other options?

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if you are saying that the original film is widescreen but on the iPad it looks "letterboxed", that is to be expected and is the downside to tablets with a 4:3 aspect ratio. You might find software that can crop the film so that it appears like the upper-left image. But then you will end up missing alot of the picture. This is just like when you get the "full screen" DVD of a film instead of the "widescreen" version. On the full screen version, the studio has cropped the sides off for you. Most theatrical movies are even more than 16:9 and are letterboxed when you watch a bluray on your HD TV.
mixing_ratios.png

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you double tap the movie while it is playing (at least in the Apple supplied video app) it will expand to fill the screen while cutting off the edges.

Before...

image-2701262977.jpg

after double tapping...

image-1469764153.jpg

Of course these are about a second or two apart so she is taller too

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ripped a movie and am watching it on my IPAD but the screen is much to narrow (from top to bottom).
I've tried the little "widen" button on the top left corner (when in landscape mode) but it magnifies the screen too much.

Do I have any other options?
It is possible to change the size of the video. You may have to do the ripping again and manually change the size if there are no presets available to satisfy your need. Or use a different video editor to manually change the size.

Most reactions

Latest posts