What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I change my primary apple id from icloud.com to gmail.com?

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So when I try to change my primary email from icloud.com to gmail, I won't receive a verification request. And it would display after the page reloading as if it is still being edited, still showing the gmail email. I tried changing it in setttings>iTunes and App Stores and from the app store, but it is greyed out and I cannot change it.

I am not trying to change the actual apple id, just the primary email. Can I change it?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So when I try to change my primary email from icloud.com to gmail, I won't receive a verification request. And it would display after the page reloading as if it is still being edited, still showing the gmail email. I tried changing it in setttings>iTunes and App Stores and from the app store, but it is greyed out and I cannot change it.

I am not trying to change the actual apple id, just the primary email. Can I change it?

I changed mine by logging into https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/. Once you're logged in you should be able to make changes in the right pane. Have you tried this?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you tap "Save changes" after entering the new primary email address?
When you change the iCloud email address to your Gmail address, the Gmail address will become your new Apple ID, it seems.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you tap "Save changes" after entering the new primary email address?
When you change the iCloud email address to your Gmail address, the Gmail address will become your new Apple ID, it seems.

Well thats better I suppose.

Yes. I always press save changes.

Seems like this also happens in my computer. Maybe I will have better luck with iTunes.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is also greyed out in iTunes. I am not getting any verification from apple. It would just stay like it is still being edited when I press save changes.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you change it, you should get a verification email to the new account. You have to open the email and tap a link to verify it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Then tap "Cancel" next to the primary email address and try again.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you get this as well, when you tried to change your primary email address?

image-1734301707.jpg

If your Gmail address is already used as rescue email address, you can't change to that address.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Meaning:
You don't get this popup, or
Gmail is not your rescue email address?

I get this pop-up, but it instead shows:

Be a valid email addres

Not already in use

Not use a domain owned by apple

Gmail is not my rescue email address.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you use the Gmail address before, for anything connected to your Apple ID?

Most reactions