What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i call on ipad3?

DaxFX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With a sim card with phone number and a jailbreak you can, not sure without jailbreak.

If no sim card appstore have few text/calling app you can use over wifi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bonzy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It U make jailbreak to Ur iPad U can use phone but U must buy little tool machine name "GMATE" ( U can find & see by youtube)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The app netTALK will let you call any landline number in the USA and Canada for free over wifi. No jailbreak or data account necessary. People can't call you, however, and there are limits on minutes of free calling per month. Still, it's been handy for making motel reservations on trips with my wifi-only iPad (I don't have a cell phone, and I was out of my home country at the time anyway). There are probably other apps with similar capabilities. Every McDonald's has free wifi you can access from the parking lot.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

bonzy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well this depend where U r....if U at USA i thing u can use HEYWIRE its free just in USA, but if U at EUROPE this app not function , maybe the other can help for more info ?????? :).....

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bonzy, Thanks for informing with heywire app. It's exactly what I am looking for cause I don't have a cell phone and I am in us. However, I have downloaded and installed twice in my ipad and both didn't let me log-in (I registered and received 2 heywire free numbers). Just wonder how to type in the correct heywire number (+1234xxxxxxx )? Do I have to type the '+' and the '1'? Or there is something wrong with the app? Any help on just getting 'log-in' heywire app? Thanks

bonzy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
U welcome "Fiat" , Ok for guide U can see at youtube type "How to use Heywire". Its simple actually....after U install heywire
1. U must upload Ur contact book
2. U can send message by add contact which U already upload before
3. Dont forget to write Ur signature/Ur name (see at setting) like that people who received Ur message know is message from U

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, Bonzy. I think I know how to use heywire ONLY IF IT LETS ME LOG-IN FIRST! Every time I start heywrite it opens to 'log-in' page and either closes or re-opens after I type in my heywire # and PW. It never let me log-in or sign-in! So how can I text anyone? Please help. Tks

bonzy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all please tell me is U make JailBreak Ur iPad?, r U already sign up/ have heywire account? If U already heywire account U supposed to be can log in, by fill in Ur account. Try check Ur email maybe U need activate before U use the heywire account. Ussualy they sent U activation code for U put on Heywire at Ur iPad.

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I do not make jailbreak on my ipad. Yes, I have signed up and has a heywire acc with a heywire number and I did activate my FW acc with my email. Still it won't let me log-in! Any user help here? Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded the Heywire app to both my iPhone and iPad to see if I could get it to text. This was 30 minutes ago and I have not gotten anywhere with the app. In fact, I get this message (on both devices):

HeyWire is unable to authorize this device. Please check your Internet connection and try again.

I get this message whether I am on WiFi or 4G (on my phone). Nothing works - the app won't even open so that I can sign up for a free phone number.

I say all this because maybe there is something wrong at HeyWire's end. Maybe their servers are down or there is something else wrong. All I can suggest at this time is to set the issue aside and maybe return to it tomorrow. At least, that is what I am going to do...

Have you looked into the app Talkatone? After you get a [free] phone number from Google, you can use Talkatone to send texts with that Google number (you can even make calls). I used it a number of times before I got my iPhone - when I only had the iPad.

Just an idea while you try to resolve this HeyWire issue.

Marilyn

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Marilyn. Thanks so much about bringing me to the Talkatone while still stuck with heywire for not even able to login. Now I got a real (cell phone) number (from google) with my local area code that enabled me to make/receive all calls/text in us and Canada free from my mac/home phone (though setting up google acc with voice acc and gmail acc was a pain of a%#). And then I installed the TaT on my ipad. With quite a painful process of changing settings in my google voice acc, I was finally set to claim using a virtual cell phone through my ipad for free! And I can safely give up HW now.

Most reactions

Latest posts