What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can a ipad with only WiFi upgrade to 3g

MRCONYERS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this question sounds stupid. I have just won on eBay a new ipad 2 WiFi only. Does this means that I can never upgrade to a 3g cellular connection on this ipad 2 ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct,you can't add cellular capability to an iPad that was manufactured without it.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can use either your mobile (cell) phone or a "wireless hotspot" to connect to 3G. The procedure (called tethering) is to connect to the device by WiFi and use it's 3G network.

Advantages include one less mobile bill (if you use your phone) and the fact that you can position the device for better reception, e.g. near a window. You can also share the connection (and account) with other devices such as your notebook.

Disadvantages include, one more device to charge (if using a hotspot) and no GPS. Apparently Some carriers do allow tethering.

Check your data plan before doing this.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might try explaining it to someone at an Apple store and they my exchange it for a different model is you are lucky. It is worth a try, and you have nothing to lose. It depends on the iPad condition when you take it in. They will check it to make sure it is not hot, and not tampered with.

Most reactions

Latest posts