What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a 16GB iPad be upgraded to 32/64?

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe some day they can come up with some expansion memory thingy that you can plug into the docking port.

Todd

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All Ipads work with wep, but only 64 bit. They do not work with 128 bit wep. They do work with wpa2.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad can be upgraded from 16 to 100 GB(+ original memory size) by opening a MobileMe account. Why do you think Apple restricts memory size? ;)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I understand things, the iPad processor has the memory integral to the processor chip. So no memory upgrade and replacing the chip [if possible] would cost more than the "bigger" iPad IMO, even if you could get the chip in quantities of one.
I am think the memory you are referring to is the RAM not the storage flash memory. All iPads have the same RAM. But obviously not the same amount of flash.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do what my friends who purchased the 16gb model have all done, be sad about the choice, sell the device and get a 64gb iPad.
I'm just the opposite. I would rather have gotten less memory and spent the money I saved on something I could actually use. I don't "keep" hardly anything on my iPad: I watch most media via netflix, zumocast, or now spashtop. I am rarely stuck on 3G but if I am I can still stream acceptably--the benefit being I have more than a few terabytes to choose from; not just what I chose for just my iPad.

Zumocast has two of my PCs' entire libraries shared. It works great.

I have little desire to maintain a large amount of "stuff" on my iPad when it also lives elsewhere and is readily accessible. Seems a waste and to me to care and feed yet another device. And even 64 GB is not "enough" if I truly did want it all so I see no need to compromise and have to pick and choose what gets loaded--only to have that need constant changing to stay current.

Besides apps, the only thing I will load on-board is a movie or some other video if I know I will be out of range (like flying without WiFi). Music wise I only sync my current favorites since I keep that updated in iTunes anyway. Oh I keep books but they take up little space.

As of right now I have a whopping 7GB on my iPad and that could be trimmed to 5 if I got rid of apps I never use. I could get by with an 8GB iPad, though I wouldn't want to go that low lol.

Michael

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well said Tinman. I use my Ipad almost exactly as you do, although I don't have 3G but I almost always use mine inside the home. I am actually only using a little less than 3 Gigs on my Ipad, and that is with Cydia taking up part of the space. I am glad I didn't go for a larger model at this point. I figure the money I saved will pay my Netflix fees for a good long time.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm just the opposite. I would rather have gotten less memory and spent the money I saved on something I could actually use. I don't "keep" hardly anything on my iPad: I watch most media via netflix, zumocast, or now spashtop. I am rarely stuck on 3G but if I am I can still stream acceptably--the benefit being I have more than a few

I prefer to stream rather than store as well, and if Splashtop had been around at launch I could have saved some dough on the iPad as well. If Amazon's Video on Demand worked, I'd have saved a ton of dough as well - I duplicated some purchases for the iPad.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well said Tinman. I use my Ipad almost exactly as you do, although I don't have 3G but I almost always use mine inside the home. I am actually only using a little less than 3 Gigs on my Ipad, and that is with Cydia taking up part of the space. I am glad I didn't go for a larger model at this point. I figure the money I saved will pay my Netflix fees for a good long time.

Netflix is awesome....I hate spending time ripping movies formatting them then syncing....real pain in the butt when they are all handy without using space on my device.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Netflix is awesome....I hate spending time ripping movies formatting them then syncing....real pain in the butt when they are all handy without using space on my device.

Yea, its kind of ridiculous that my phone can natively play 720P MKV movies and avi files, but the iPad doesn't recognize mkv or avi and offers no hardware acceleration for it for apps that can recognize it.

Kinda expected my tablet to be more powerful than my phone.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yea, its kind of ridiculous that my phone can natively play 720P MKV movies and avi files, but the iPad doesn't recognize mkv or avi and offers no hardware acceleration for it for apps that can recognize it.

Kinda expected my tablet to be more powerful than my phone.

Someone correct me if im wrong here but im pretty sure it being the same OS they recognize the same formats......

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't think he meant iPhone. So not the same OS as iPhone does not play those formats natively either.

Doesn't matter for me since I would be streaming it from zumocast which streams just about anything on my pc to my iPad/iPhone. In fact I never bothered to load real media support on my pc--hated real media. Anyway I recently played a .rm file from my pc on my iPad when the pc itself wouldn't even play it. That was impressive.

toasty_hoodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16gb, and I'm like you guys. Hulu and Netflix are my main movie/tv viewing. I really listen to only less than 300 songs regularly. I mostly listen to one specific talk radio show on it.

16gb is quite plenty for me

Most reactions

Latest posts