What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Connection Kit + Jailbreak = cheap video storage!

omsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I will give it a try. I am pleased to learn of the new(ish) jailbreak for 4.2.1. I knew of iFile. I will create a doc and see if I can transfer it over from my iPad to the Sd card. I keep getting the too much power error on my USB drives. Bummer.

Thanks again

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I will give it a try. I am pleased to learn of the new(ish) jailbreak for 4.2.1. I knew of iFile. I will create a doc and see if I can transfer it over from my iPad to the Sd card. I keep getting the too much power error on my USB drives. Bummer.

Thanks again

I get the same error when I try my 16 GB PNY Attaché Flash Drives, but my 2 GB PNY Attaché works perfectly. I have not looked, but it seems reasonable to assume that those drives that do work have lower voltage requirements.

So far, no issues with MicroSD cards of any size. I really think for me, it is a non issue. All I need to open on the iPad are Word and Test documents and I bet I can fit countless docs on a 2 GB SD card.

Perhaps a stikey thread could be started to list proven flash drives for those that get the error you mentioned and simply think the iPad wont accept flash drives.

Bob Maxey

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI - you can use this same method to play the files in ANY app, even non-jailbreak apps (with an extra step).

Simply select the file on the SD card and then select "Copy/Link". Navigate to the folder where the app stores it's media files and then do a "Link" instead of a copy. YOu can now play the media files in that app without actually copying the file to the iPad (the app will think the file resides in it's Documents folder when it really resides on the SD card. That's the beauty of links!

omsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank for the replies. I tried another thumb drive--and old 1g branded by the local school district, a cheap give a way. It worked perfectly! The two others I had tried were 8g SanDisk Cruzers with the orange light; my guess is it's the light that requires too much power. But who knows. It could be something else.

In any case, it is great to be able to transfer files to a thumb drive for backup.

Thanks again

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep - I have a Sandisk cruiser 2gb and it has that same orange light and it doesn't work either (too much power). The cheapie from MicroCenter works perfectly though!

omsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep - I have a Sandisk cruiser 2gb and it has that same orange light and it doesn't work either (too much power). The cheapie from MicroCenter works perfectly though!

Good to know. I'd like one a little bigger than 1gb and will hunt for one w/o a light--a sort of useless feature anyway.

Thanks

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI - you can use this same method to play the files in ANY app, even non-jailbreak apps (with an extra step).

Simply select the file on the SD card and then select "Copy/Link". Navigate to the folder where the app stores it's media files and then do a "Link" instead of a copy. YOu can now play the media files in that app without actually copying the file to the iPad (the app will think the file resides in it's Documents folder when it really resides on the SD card. That's the beauty of links!

Great tip, copied and pasted into notes, thnkx!

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didnt see a point in getting a camera connection kit until now, thanks for the post, I wanna pick one up then try a few cards for movies =)

Reaction score
Is there a quick way of finding the correct apps folder?

Mine all seem to have cryptic names consisting of a 32 random number and letter long combination. Needless to say that I have no clue which one is the Music and Video player.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you use iFile, there is an option to have it show you the app name instead of the actual folder name, which like you say, is cryptic... In the Settings, there is an option called "Application Names". It will then show you the app name instead of the real (cryptic) directory name.

nealh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anyone try a larger flash drive with no light. 16gb would be ideal for video but at least an 8gb drive would be nice

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nealh said:
anyone try a larger flash drive with no light. 16gb would be ideal for video but at least an 8gb drive would be nice

Actually, I did just that. Since my 2gb flash drive from MicroCenter worked fine, I tried an 8gb thumb drive from MicroCenter (no light) and it does NOT work. So - apparently, you can't go buy the light/no light theory (or the brand name for that matter)...

I've decided to just use SD cards and the SD CCK part - no worries that way.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a quick way of finding the correct apps folder?

Mine all seem to have cryptic names consisting of a 32 random number and letter long combination. Needless to say that I have no clue which one is the Music and Video player.

Also adding to what jtrosky said, most movies need to be placed into that particular media player app's documents folder. Ex. Get movie, open ifiles, go to vlc player or cinexplayer, go to documents folder, then paste movie in there. Now the app should recognize and play movie when opened thru native app ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts