What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Connection Kit + Jailbreak = cheap video storage!

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Show me a single one that can even do 1/100th if what the iPad can.

Anyway, that said, everything there is 160gb or less, and the 160gb version is 800!

I stand by my point.

deymanuel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Show me a single one that can even do 1/100th if what the iPad can.

Anyway, that said, everything there is 160gb or less, and the 160gb version is 800!

I stand by my point.

and what can you get from apple with $800? 64GB?
-RAW/NEF/DNG file support?
-supports MPEG4 and Motion JPEG video files and MP3 and MPEG4/AAC audio formats?
-combine the music with your images for slideshows in the field?

just read the full review then tell me if iPad can do all of these... convince me please...

Epson P-7000 Multimedia Storage Viewer Review - PhotographyBLOG

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, this has derailed completely.

Simply put, the iPad is not a high end multimedia storage device.

The high end multimedia devices are not an iPad. They do one thing, and one thing only. You cant run apps, email, handle word docs on the Epson.

This post is about expanding storage on an incredibly multifunctional device.

That said, to expand the storage using this kit is a genius idea. Can't wait for mine to come in.

deymanuel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, this has derailed completely.

Simply put, the iPad is not a high end multimedia storage device.

The high end multimedia devices are not an iPad. They do one thing, and one thing only. You cant run apps, email, handle word docs on the Epson.

This post is about expanding storage on an incredibly multifunctional device.

That said, to expand the storage using this kit is a genius idea. Can't wait for mine to come in.

uhm well i did not derailed the topic what so ever... i just disagreed with the topic saying that the ipad+camera connection kit = CHEAP storage blah blah... where in fact it is not... i also did not say that the multi media viewer can do some of the stuff the ipad can, what i was pointing out is that there are important stuff that the epson can do that the ipad cannot as a storage for videos and photos as the topic states. check the title of the thread again and tell me i derailed the topic completely....

NickR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is great thanks for information.

I have a CCK coming in the next few weeks, I mainly want or use it to view/proof images when I'm out and about shooting images. I was a little disappointed I would have to download the images to the iPad then view them.

This iFile App is going to save me a load of time and hassle viewing the images directly from the SD card great :)

Cheers

Nick

OP
I

idbirch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i wont call it "cheap" coz there are alot of media viewers and storage out in the market that are less than $500 and have 250gb capacity... :), try the epson ones =)
I meant cheap in comparison to forking out the extra dough apple want for a 64gb version not cheap in comparison to whatever 3rd party product it is you wish you bleat on about.

With the added ability that a jailbreak and CCK give you, you can get the 16gb model and just use sd cards to boost the storage. And yes, you are derailing the thread, even more so by then following up with why you think you're not. Head over to the Epson forums if you wish to continue on this tangent please.

Yokhaji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sweet. Still waiting for the iPad to be released in new Zealand so i can buy the connection kit.

KekszNET

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically, I've determined that iFile will read the card just as if it were part of the internal file system so everything you can do with iFile on normal files still applies. That means image and video playback straight from the SD card without having to transfer first!

Hello!
Will this work with for example applications like "OPlayer"?

schwazche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about VLC?

As I wait for my iPad to arrive and for me to jailbreak it, I wonder if I will be able to use VLC to play most any video format as I can now on my iPhone.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got my camera connection kit today and was extremely eager to find out what I could do with it with a jailbroken iPad, the results are extremely pleasing.

Basically, I've determined that iFile will read the card just as if it were part of the internal file system so everything you can do with iFile on normal files still applies. That means image and video playback straight from the SD card without having to transfer first!

I was also interested in finding out what class of SD would be required to play video straight from the card. I have determined that measley class 2 cards are absolutely fine for this task. I had bought a more expensive Class 6 32GB card - this obviously had no problems with video but the same tests on an old 2GB class 2 card also went fine.

For test clips, I was re-encoding a 2 minute chunk of Avatar at 1024x576. I chose this resolution as it matches the iPad screen resolution so no up or down scaling is done. I endcoded at AVC Level 3.1 (max bitrate 14,000kbps) at various average bitrates. The Class 6 and Class 2 cards were both doing fine up to 8.5mbps average at which point I stopped testing as this bitrate is definitely overkill for the iPad display size and the picture looked amazing.

So in summary, if you're jailbroken (and there really is no reason at all why you shouldn't be) and you were wondering if the camera kit could solve your iPad storage issues - it can. I now only have to take a few tiny SD cards on holiday with me and I will have 32+32+8 (sd cards) + 16 (iPad) = 88gb of storage for movies/tv episodes in mp4 format.

To get ifile to read your sd/USB devices simply connect them to the ipad, wait for the error message and ok it. Launch ifile and browse to /var/mnt/mount1 and you will then be looking at the contents of your sd/USB device.

OK, please explain this:

I loaded some images, a few videos, a randon text file, three doc files and some random files with odd extensions into a cheap ass Flash Drive.

I plugged in my CC kit, installed the micro SD card, and waited for the error message.

It did not popup.

So I ran iFile and God Allmighty, right there under the little 'Disk" icon was a 'flash Drive" icon.

Worked like a champ and Bob is pleased. Thanks to you.

I did not need to navigate to /var/mnt/mount1; the little Flash Drive disk simply appeared.

It is not over...

I removed the CC kit connector designed for the SD Card and adapter and loaded the same cheap Flash Drive with a few more assorted files. Took a deep breath thinking, no, it ain't a gonna work, and inserted my USB drive into the other connector. I expected an error, none arrived on my screen.

I was made aware that there is a voltage issue that prevents the CC Kit/iPad connector port from working and Flash Drives won't work because of this voltage issue.

Clicked on iFile and By God... my iPad accessed my standard USB flash Drive, plugged into the standard Camera Connection Kit, and no Apple warnings of any kind.

Just plug --SD card or Flash Drive-- and play. I tried the files and all opened like they should of.

Gosh, thanks a whole bunch. You absolutely solved (or clued me into a solution) something I have tried and failed and failed and tried, and have pestered iPad forums endlessly in the hopes of a solution.

I'll likely post this elsewhere because it just simplified my life. No More iTunes sync, just straight-forward and simple.

Bob Maxey

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my camera connection kit today and was extremely eager to find out what I could do with it with a jailbroken iPad, the results are extremely pleasing.

I was also interested in finding out what class of SD would be required to play video straight from the card. I have determined that measley class 2 cards are absolutely fine for this task. I had bought a more expensive Class 6 32GB card - this obviously had no problems with video but the same tests on an old 2GB class 2 card also went fine.

For test clips, I was re-encoding a 2 minute chunk of Avatar at 1024x576. I chose this resolution as it matches the iPad screen resolution so no up or down scaling is done. I endcoded at AVC Level 3.1 (max bitrate 14,000kbps) at various average bitrates. The Class 6 and Class 2 cards were both doing fine up to 8.5mbps average at which point I stopped testing as this bitrate is definitely overkill for the iPad display size and the picture looked amazing.

So in summary, if you're jailbroken (and there really is no reason at all why you shouldn't be) and you were wondering if the camera kit could solve your iPad storage issues - it can. I now only have to take a few tiny SD cards on holiday with me and I will have 32+32+8 (sd cards) + 16 (iPad) = 88gb of storage for movies/tv episodes in mp4 format.

To get ifile to read your sd/USB devices simply connect them to the ipad, wait for the error message and ok it. Launch ifile and browse to /var/mnt/mount1 and you will then be looking at the contents of your sd/USB device.

OK, please explain this:

I loaded some images, a few videos, a randon text file, three doc files and some random files with odd extensions into a cheap ass Flash Drive.

I plugged in my CC kit, installed the micro SD card, and waited for the error message.

It did not popup.

So I ran iFile and God Allmighty, right there under the little 'Disk" icon was a 'flash Drive" icon.

Worked like a champ and Bob is pleased. Thanks to you.

I did not need to navigate to /var/mnt/mount1; the little Flash Drive disk simply appeared.

It is not over...

I removed the CC kit connector designed for the SD Card and adapter and loaded the same cheap Flash Drive with a few more assorted files. Took a deep breath thinking, no, it ain't a gonna work, and inserted my USB drive into the other connector. I expected an error, none arrived on my screen.

I was made aware that there is a voltage issue that prevents the CC Kit/iPad connector port from working and Flash Drives won't work because of this voltage issue.

Clicked on iFile and By God... my iPad accessed my standard USB flash Drive, plugged into the standard Camera Connection Kit, and no Apple warnings of any kind.

Just plug --SD card or Flash Drive-- and play. I tried the files and all opened like they should of.

Gosh, thanks a whole bunch. You absolutely solved (or clued me into a solution) something I have tried and failed and failed and tried, and have pestered iPad forums endlessly in the hopes of a solution.

I'll likely post this elsewhere because it just simplified my life. No More iTunes sync, just straight-forward and simple.

Bob Maxey

My only reason for jailbreaking was to get ifiles. In comes in handy soooo much. My motto is forget Itunes, with ifiles, i dont need to be chained up to a reg. Pc with itunes to sync files. I can transfer or download movies straight into ifiles and watch them, without needing itunes. I love how ifiles makes life w/ipad soooo easy.

omsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if anyone has been able to transfer files FROM their iPad to an SD card/USB drive? That is, if I create a text file and want to back it up can I do so using a jailbroken iPad and iFile? I know about Dropbox etc. I am thinking of situations where I have no wireless and I simply want a way to back up data as I would on my laptop.

Many thanks

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if anyone has been able to transfer files FROM their iPad to an SD card/USB drive? That is, if I create a text file and want to back it up can I do so using a jailbroken iPad and iFile? I know about Dropbox etc. I am thinking of situations where I have no wireless and I simply want a way to back up data as I would on my laptop.

Many thanks

Yep, it should wrk. Ipad has to be jailbroke n u have ifiles to do it though. Ifiles is my fav. N most useful app by far!

Most reactions

Latest posts