What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Comnnection kit with usb that has photos on it

bashbrother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you use the Camera Connection kit to transfer photos back and forth via a usb memory stick? Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been covered which I am sure it has.

WayneF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried that and the Ipad said "Too much power required" so guess it can't be done.
Another thing you can't do with the kit is, upload pictures to a PC, touch them up, download them to that same SD card and put them on the ipad. It says no pictures for import, but you can take that card, put it in a desktop or laptop and they are there.
I asked a local Apple tech about that today and he said that Apple prides itself on the no virus thing so they take no chances of something weird being installed on the iPad.
I can take a formatted SD card, put it my camera, take all the pictures I want, put it in the camera kit and the pictures load automatically to the ipad. So don't know how or when the line is drawn.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Many USB sticks require too much power to be used with the CCK (Camera Connection Kit). Some do work. It it mostly a matter of trial an error.

For a USB stick to work (even if the power requirements are met) it must be formatted like a camera's media; with a DCIM folder and files names no more than 8 characters plus extensions.

On an un-jailbroken iPad and CCK, you can only transfer photos from the media to the iPad, not the other way around.

YMMV

Since you mentioned editing files on your camera's SD card I'll mention that it is a good practice to always format/erase your camera's media in the camera. If you edit or format SD cards on a computer the file structure may be altered in ways the camera does not understand and corrupt the card. You can fix it by reformatting again, of course, but you may not be able to recover the pictures you took.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't tried this but why can't you put edited jpegs on a SD card with the same directory structure as they are from the camera and see if they transfer. AFAIK the iPad looks for a DCIM directory and will only transfer from that and nothing else.

WayneF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks K1W1
I tried doing that as you suggested and come up with the same error. With help, I got the picrures to load into albums through itunes like I want them so all is well.

Most reactions