What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

California School Introduces iPad into the Classroom

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-classroom.JPG

The Santa Cruz Sentinel website is reporting that the Monte Vista Christian School in Watsonville has replaced its history textbooks with 60 16GB iPads in the classroom, as part of a pilot scheme among advanced placement students. If the scheme proves successful, Headmaster Stephen Sharp plans on replacing heavy textbooks with cheaper, interactive e-textbooks, which are a third cheaper. Sharp tells the Sentinel that many schools will soon be following his lead, because of the many advantages that iPads offer. “There are so many academic advantages. They provide new access to photos, videos, daily newspapers and resource material that enhance the curriculumâ€, he says.

The Sentinel reports how English teacher Marcus Schwager taught his students to look up the meaning and pronunciation of unfamiliar words in Shakespeare’s The Tempest on the iPad with just a tap, and Science teacher Cynthia Armstrong showed her class an interactive display of a cutaway view of the female body, zooming in when necessary. All of the teachers involved in the pilot scheme expressed their excitement and enthusiasm for the many benefits that the iPad has to offer as a teaching tool. The students were just as impressed, as you might expect, with 15-year-old sophomore student Alyssa Villanueva saying that in comparison to a text book, the iPad is “a little easier to use. You can really focus on where you’re studying.â€

Unfortunately the students can’t take their iPads home with them, so they have to email their notes to a home account.

By Maura Sutton
Source: Santa Cruz Sentinel

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure some parents will start getting their kids their own personal units.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The school was a Christian school not public. Even so there is a place for the ipad in all school systems.

emilyjane918

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So interesting. I think iPad is useful tool to teach children. The children can know about high technology and the world.

auspad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yay!!! i don't see any schools introducing androids into their environment...
:D

Raff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They sell in packs of 5 & 10 to educational institutions... We are currently rolling out 10 to start a pilot program with our special education and resource students.

drwinston001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I had any idea how to go about it I'd be developing an app with interactive text books. An book that actually shows you how to do a certain equation instead of just explaining etc. Whoever or whatever company gets that done right, will make millions.

Most reactions

Latest posts