What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying U.S. iBooks while overseas

luckylyn5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I read A LOT (2 to 4 books per week) and finally made the transition to eBooks a year or two ago. I have been using the B&N Nook Reader. I am currently in the Los Angeles area, but I may be moving overseas (possibly to Asia) within the next six months or so, and would be staying overseas for at leat two years (perhaps as much as 5 years or more). I contacted B&N regarding purchasing eBooks for the Nook while overseas, and was told that it would be difficult (perhaps impossible) to do so using a foreign IP address. Their only "possible" solution would be for me to go onto my computer overseas, put eBooks in my Shopping Cart, then have someone in the US actually purchase the eBooks, and then I could download them overseas onto my PC and then, from there, download from my PC to my Nook. This sounds like a major pain (and no guarantee this would work).

I was already considering purchasing an iPad 2 (just for general use) but am now also interested in it from an eBook standpoint. Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase US books for the iPad 2 while overseas? I would be interested in English language books, favorite authors, etc. - basically, the kind of content that I can currently get here via the Nook. I am concerned that due to copyright issues, I might be blocked from purchasing US books and would only be able to purchase eBooks for the country that I am in.

Does anyone know about the availability of US eBooks overseas? I know that I can still read eBooks overseas that were downloaded while I was in the US, but what about purchasing new US eBooks?

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's wrong with using Amazon, iBooks or Kobo?
Even here in Australia we have the ability to actually bike these fancy ebook things you talk about.I have all three of those products on my iPad and have books on all of them.
Oh, they sell Kindles outside the US as well.

OP
L

luckylyn5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, K1W1,

So, if I am understanding you correctly, I could buy US books from Amazon main US site or iBooks even when using a non-US IP address? That would be ideal - just wasn't sure if it was possible - since B&N blocks purchases from non-US IP addresses, I didn't know if the others do the same. I also wasn't sure if US books would be available through Amazon international sites.

Most reactions