What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying a new base model iPad, which is better for my purposes?

Stuthedog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for the ideal for how I will use the tablet, the extra $100 isn't that bad but if the new iPad isn't worth it I won't want to dish the extra money out.

Most of what I will use this for is note taking and *Streaming videos over wifi at medium signal strength range*. Since I plan to buy the base Wifi Model (I can tether from 4G phone), will the potential Wifi issues hurt me with the new iPad.

Also I'm slightly concerned about the heat, I realize its within "Reasonable Levels" but I don't really want to deal with that. Is the overheating issue primarily with 4G models or all of them?

Which one do you think I should go with? Input is really appreciated.

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I go with 3rd Gen. I personally feel it does run warmer, but it really is not bad. The screen is amazing, and if you are a first time buyer, thus device will last you a long time and be supported by Apple for a good long while too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the new model since the 16th. I don't think there is any general wifi issue, or battery issue, or screen issue. Sure any new piece of electronics can have a failure, but I would guess from what I have heard that the failure rate of the new iPad is no more than the old one.
In my opinion the new model is well worth the extra $100.

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've connected to 4 different WiFi networks (all which I'd previously connected to wi my IPad 2) and have seen no WIFi issue or really a difference at all from the 2's performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No issues at all. 4G doesn't use more battery, but running the screen at 100% all the time does. No Wifi issues here.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would spring the extra for the new one. People just need to remember the new iPad has a 70% larger battery so it is bound to create more heat. At that the only time I have noticed it getting warm (never hot) is when you have very intense apps running like some of the new games. As far as the Wifi issue, I have not had a problem but if there is an issue hopefully it can be fixed in an IOS update. If not, Apple will swap it out with one that doesn't have the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts