What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buuf4iPad "BabaBuufey" - Winterboard

Imlongneck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I am a noob to iPad theming. I have just jailbroken for first time! Problems is it seems this and other themes only partially apply??? I get a few of the icon changes and colors and that is about it. I have selected as instructed in winterboard and nothing. For example my calendars, music, photos and several other icons don't change and I don't get custom lock screen as shown in screen shot....what am I doing wrong??

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I am a noob to iPad theming. I have just jailbroken for first time! Problems is it seems this and other themes only partially apply??? I get a few of the icon changes and colors and that is about it. I have selected as instructed in winterboard and nothing. For example my calendars, music, photos and several other icons don't change and I don't get custom lock screen as shown in screen shot....what am I doing wrong??

I'm going to assume you have a new iPad3? Themes need to be created specifically for the iPad3, because it requires all new (double size) graphics. If you apply a theme created for iPad1/2, most of the elements will not theme at all. You just need to keep a look out for iPad3 SPECIFIC themes.

Imlongneck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figured it out. I have to manually fix the icon file names. They are mis-named like a lower case "I" instead of capital or just the incorrect name altogether. I am doing this by comparing a theme that did work for me to this one. What would be helpful is a map per se of all the icons and their respective folder and icon names. Does this exist??

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I figured it out. I have to manually fix the icon file names. They are mis-named like a lower case "I" instead of capital or just the incorrect name altogether. I am doing this by comparing a theme that did work for me to this one. What would be helpful is a map per se of all the icons and their respective folder and icon names. Does this exist??

In a way, this exists. There is no definitive list, because of the sheer number of apps available. However, if you have iFile, you can find every app's name (for theming purposes) and the icon name (or at least how it's spelled).

In File, press the Home button (the house icon). The top line should be Applications. That the list of all your installed App Store apps (but NOT the default ones). Select the one you want to theme and open the folder. Then, open the folder that is a repeat of the app name (it will have ".app" at the end of the name).

In that folder, look for the file "Info.plist." Press on it and open it with iFiles's "Property List Viewer." The line titled "CFBundleIdentifier" is the name of the folder for theming purposes (your icon will go inside that folder inside the Bundles folder of your theme).

Then, look for the line "CFBundleIconFiles." There will usually be the word Array on that line with an arrow (>). Press the arrow key. In there will be the names of the icons for that app. Yes, usually, it's a guess as to which one you need to use, because there will be files in there for the iPhone, also (if it's a universal app or one for the new iPad3). But, at least you'll have them narrowed down. Oh, and you can ignore any with the word Settings in them, as those are for the miniature icon pictures in your Settings app.

that's the best I can do and the best we've got, short of a Google search. But, it should help so give it a shot. Good luck.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Haze Development (behind the Haz3 themes) released a whole load of UI themeing kits which may be of help here - Downloads | Haze-Development

Imlongneck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn- Thank you!! This is great info and I am using it now as we speak to change a few of my personal app icons!!
f4780y - I will download this info today and see what I can learn. This is great stuff and thank you and all who have replied to my thread.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shoot! I just re-read my post and forgot to tell you where the default apps are listed in iFile so you can theme them. They are in /Applications. This also includes any Cydia tweaks that come with an icon. The same instructions apply for finding the Bundles folders and the icon names; it's just that Apple put the stock apps in a different location...

Glad we could help. Happy theming!

Marilyn

Imlongneck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was so going to ask you that but didn't want to press my luck so thanks again. Feel like one more question?? What is the name and location of the default lock screen?? I figured out the wallpaper and it changes with my theme but I have tried a few variations of LockBackground that have failed. :(

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't help you. I just tried to do a LockBackground wallpaper (like I have for my phone's lock screen theme). No go. So, I don't know how to fix it. The iPad3 is too new ... I haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet. Sorry.

But, gimme time cause I want a lock screen theme like my phone's. I WILL figure it out. :D When I do, I'll be sure to post it...

Marilyn

Imlongneck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks. Just so we are on the same page I am on an iPad 2 not a 3. :)

Most reactions