What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Business users loving the new iPad more and more

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
epb said:
I've no experience with Android devices, but it seems to me that they would match it for function and customization - they just don't have the same market share.

Custom apps and such are nice, but the crux of the matter for us is the iOS itself. What we're looking for is a way to assign admin rights that prevent users from altering the set-up once it's installed. For example, as an organization we want a more complex password setup than the default 4-digit one iOS has, and we want users unable to revert to the weaker scheme. We would also want to pretty much disable or remove iTunes - no downloading movies, music, and especially apps. It would essentially have a web browser, a custom remote login app for our systems, the e-mail client and something akin to MS Office like Apple's Keynote, Numbers, etc. From what I'm hearing, this pretty much isn't do-able. The real money in iPads isn't selling the devices but the revenue stream the device opens up direct to Apple, and iOS is configured to facilitate that, not inhibit it; there's no way to close off the device.

What's currently available is that you have to leave the front door unlocked, but you can lock the door to some of the rooms once people are in (in-app security rather than OS security). When you're talking about access to customer personal and financial data, that's not seen as good enough from our perspective.

You guys will soon be able to use a windows based tablet. I hope iOS never changes to accommodate the kind of use you are suggesting.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want a more complex password, that's easy to achieve. Just go to Settings/Passcode Lock and turn off "Simple Passcode". You can then use an alphanumeric Passcode as long and complicated as you like.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mmnlinar said:
My iPad is soooo.... close to being my instrument of choice. My very new and light laptop now feels like 50 lb stone.
When I want to use a keyboard, I want a full-sized/full function one to leave at desk or home.

Sent ML-iPad

Funny!!

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want a more complex password, that's easy to achieve. Just go to Settings/Passcode Lock and turn off "Simple Passcode". You can then use an alphanumeric Passcode as long and complicated as you like.

The problem isn't just the password, but the lack of system administration in iOS - the ability to enforce that users use a complex password, enforce regular password changes, the ability to unlock passwords when they forget them, etc...

ericwalker425

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work for AT&T and every employee uses the iPad for everything so I could say that's millions of iPad users

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ericwalker425 said:
I work for AT&T and every employee uses the iPad for everything so I could say that's millions of iPad users

I hope you guys got a good discount or free!! ;)

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts