What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Business Pros Really Love Their iPads

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
business_survey.JPG

9to5 Mac writes today about a new survey from research firm IDG called “iPad for Business 2012â€, which looked at how the iPad is used in business. The worldwide survey found that 91 percent of businesses that use iPads are using them chiefly for work purposes, even though only around a quarter of iPads were supplied as corporate tools. According to the survey, both consumers and business professionals use their iPads for media consumption, although the type of media they like to access is different, with professionals preferring text-based and work-related media. The survey also found that business professionals differed greatly from consumers in the degree to which they use their iPads away from home, with the IT and business professionals using them far more often on the road than anywhere else. Seventy nine percent of IT pros said that they “always†use their iPad on the move, and 59 percent “always†or “sometimes†use it in offline mode. IDG pointed out that when referring to “road†use, it included planes, trains, automobiles, hotel lobbies, coffee shops, conference halls and meeting rooms, despite the fact that only 40 percent of iPads sold have 3G.

Source: IDG: 91 percent of business pros use iPad to get things done as workers ditch their work notebooks | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
9to5 Mac writes today about a new survey from research firm IDG called “iPad for Business 2012â€, which looked at how the iPad is used in business. The worldwide survey found that 91 percent of businesses that use iPads are using them chiefly for work purposes, even though only around a quarter of iPads were supplied as corporate tools. According to the survey, both consumers and business professionals use their iPads for media consumption, although the type of media they like to access is different, with professionals preferring text-based and work-related media. The survey also found that business professionals differed greatly from consumers in the degree to which they use their iPads away from home, with the IT and business professionals using them far more often on the road than anywhere else. Seventy nine percent of IT pros said that they “always†use their iPad on the move, and 59 percent “always†or “sometimes†use it in offline mode. IDG pointed out that when referring to “road†use, it included planes, trains, automobiles, hotel lobbies, coffee shops, conference halls and meeting rooms, despite the fact that only 40 percent of iPads sold have 3G.<br>
<br>
Source: <a href="http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/16/idg-91-percent-of-business-pros-use-ipad-to-get-things-done/" target="_blank">IDG: 91 percent of business pros use iPad to get things done as workers ditch their work notebooks | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence</a>

Not surprising to find that business professionals use their iPads far more frequently on the road than other consumers, even bp's with wifi only iPads. My iPad is mainly a "family" device at home. I use it from time to time when I'm on the couch but not often when I'm sitting at my desk with a desktop and laptop and four 20+ inch monitors. On the "road," however, the iPad is a godsend compared to my seven lb laptop when I'm crammed into a middle seat in coach.

And like many business people I have no use for a 3G iPad since I have a 4G/LTE mobile hotspot that provides much faster internet access for both the iPad and my laptop when I'm traveling.

On the other hand, I cannot "ditch" my laptop even on the road. A 9.75 inch screen is fine for answering emails and looking up specific information on the net but it cannot replace a 15.6" laptop with multiple resizable windows, true multitasking, a quadcore processor running at several times the clock speed of a tablet, and a full version of Microsoft Office products. That's not going to change anytime soon.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on the field, but not surprising that iPad is becoming more and more integrated with work in general.

There are many iPads at my workplace, and I see use increasing. We still need our PCs and laptops, though. All our company-issued iPads come with company-paid 3G subscriptions.

Most reactions