What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo format handling different after upgrade

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I learned this sort of by accident. I shoot in RAW and don't often take a shot, load into IPad via CC and email that shot. Today I did to a friend. She couldn't open them. They've always been the embedded jpegs in the RAW file, not RAW + jpegs. Also I started getting the attachment icons instead of the embedded images. What!?!??!!!?!

So I sent a few to her to see what she could open. It seems she was able to open ones I cut/pasted into an email. So, I started to send to myself, both RAW only and RAW + jpegs. I am now getting only attachments, no embedded images, though the received email with the + jpeg has the image embedded. The RAW only file responds to touch and has "open with" 3 apps, Filterstorm, Goodreader and Evernote. It was also 14.4MB whereas the RAW+ jpeg was 4.4. Something has changed considerably since the upgrade concerning the handling of RAW files but it's not documented anywhere that I can find.

This won't affect many, but for those of us that shoot RAW there might be even more that we should know. However, I never transfer files FROM the Ipad via ITunes to my main computer but retain all my memory cards and upload everything to process in Photoshop and Lightroom so maybe it makes little difference. I'll just have to remember to shoot RAW + jpeg if I want to email from the Photo app. It appears though that the app is sending the jpeg to the 3rd party apps to process (Filterstorm, Photogene).

Who knew????? LOL

Diane B

Bill-fl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Diane, I finally broke down and got an Aluratek router for shooting on location, but if you shoot in an area with a network, just get an eyefi card and the shutter snitch app. The card will send a jpg to the app, from there you can email it. Yes, you have to shoot raw+jpg, but it is a great preview tool.

Most reactions

Latest posts