What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken Glass ipad 2

kirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are my options for broken glass on my iPad?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We've had several Members with this problem. They have 'discovered' that it appears as though Apple has a 'once in a lifetime' completely unofficial 'replace it for free' policy. I stress it's completely unofficial and appears to be somewhat at the discretion of the Apple Store. So I would suggest you return your iPad to your Apple Store and, very humbly and politely, see what they suggest. Some Members didn't get lucky at their first attempt and had to - again very politely - ask to speak to the Manager and try to get them to take pity on you. Some Members too had to visit another store.

Let us know how you get on but, again, I'd just like to stress you have no 'rights' in this matter, it's a completely unofficial policy but, so far, we've yet to hear of a Member who's been refused a free replacement.

Tim

OP
K

kirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
We've had several Members with this problem. They have 'discovered' that it appears as though Apple has a 'once in a lifetime' completely unofficial 'replace it for free' policy. I stress it's completely unofficial and appears to be somewhat at the discretion of the Apple Store. So I would suggest you return your iPad to your Apple Store and, very humbly and politely, see what they suggest. Some Members didn't get lucky at their first attempt and had to - again very politely - ask to speak to the Manager and try to get them to take pity on you. Some Members too had to visit another store.

Let us know how you get on but, again, I'd just like to stress you have no 'rights' in this matter, it's a completely unofficial policy but, so far, we've yet to hear of a Member who's been refused a free replacement.

Tim

Thanks Tim

allegrazzurra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
me with the broken glass too

...dropped my ipad moving in the dorm today, tomorrow i'll go to my local ipad store(appointment already made) and put on my best sorry face (which won't be too hard, you can imagine what a sorry a... i am rig now) and see what they tell me, will keep you posted!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a friend who works at the Apple Store here, yes they do replace them, but they don't want it widely known and don't want people to just expect it. It's a courtesy. So be very nice.

allegrazzurra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
got the free ipad replacement!

...just as you suggested, i showed up at the apple store in my sunday clothes putting on my orphan annie face and just showed my shattered ipad to the genius when he asked me how he could help me today...he took one look at it, murmured 'cracked screen' under his breath, looked at how many days were left in my warranty (234 for the record) and told me apple would replace the ipad for free instead of charging me $344 to fix the screen...i ran out of the store with my new ipad before they changed their mind!

...now a thought has been haunting me ever since (two days ago): did apple actually give me a brand new ipad 2 or just a refurbished one? does it make any difference?...don't want to think too much about it but comments are welcome...

...from there i went directly to bestbuy and bought a hardcore case!

PS: good thing i had downloaded everything from my previous ipad last week so i didn't lose that either!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's just great, you must have been so relieved. Plus the added bonus that you had backed up.

suholla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backing up iPad2

When you connect your iPad to iTunes, right click on the iPad name and you have an option that says 'backup to iTunes'.

Chez23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chez23

Hi, I have a brand new ipad 2 with broken glass and wondered if you could possibly direct me to your friend's Apple store in Brisbane as that's where we live and I would like to enquire about getting it fixed if it cant be replaced. I would like a reliable retailer to go to please. Thanks for any assistance you could provide.

I have a friend who works at the Apple Store here, yes they do replace them, but they don't want it widely known and don't want people to just expect it. It's a courtesy. So be very nice.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai is a frequent poster, so I'm sure you'll hear soon. But any Apple Store will replace them as a 'once in a lifetime' goodwill gesture. As you'll have read, it's unofficial, unacknowledged, "we'll deny it if you ask us" policy.

Tim

Hi, I have a brand new ipad 2 with broken glass and wondered if you could possibly direct me to your friend's Apple store in Brisbane as that's where we live and I would like to enquire about getting it fixed if it cant be replaced. I would like a reliable retailer to go to please. Thanks for any assistance you could provide.

memooch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 glass ("digitizer") cracked

I just addressed this today. I dropped my iPad 2 yesterday--while it was in its Targus case--and it cracked the screen. The "only option" given to me at the Apple Store was to replace the entire iPad. They said they do not repair cracked screens any more. Since I only purchased this last month, their best offer was a 10% discount. The total bill was $263. It's an iPad 16GB WiFi only. Price probably varies depending on device.

I hope this helps prepare any others with a similar predicament. The good news is if you back up in iCloud, everything--including apps and other settings--will transfer to the new iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just addressed this today. I dropped my iPad 2 yesterday--while it was in its Targus case--and it cracked the screen. The "only option" given to me at the Apple Store was to replace the entire iPad. They said they do not repair cracked screens any more. Since I only purchased this last month, their best offer was a 10% discount. The total bill was $263. It's an iPad 16GB WiFi only. Price probably varies depending on device.

I hope this helps prepare any others with a similar predicament. The good news is if you back up in iCloud, everything--including apps and other settings--will transfer to the new iPad.

If you paid $263, you got way more than a 10% discount off standard retail price for a 16GB wifi-only model. At standard retail, it's $499. People who are being charged for replacements are reporting that they're paying 50% of retail, which is what it sounds like you did, with maybe some tax on top.

Most reactions

Latest posts